Q. Exotropia squint in the right eye, Is LASIK and squint surgery Recommended?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Published on May 09, 2018

I have an exotropia squint in my right eye from the last 10 to 12 years. Presently I have a very low vision in that eye and near and far vision is blurry. I consulted an ophthalmologist and he recommended a LASIK surgery and after that a squint correction surgery a month later. Should I go for that? I am attaching my prescription for your reference.

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

I have gone through your images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

You can proceed with the LASIK surgery and the squint correction as advised but please keep the following in mind:

• Your right eye is amblyopic (lazy eye). So, the vision even after a LASIK will be 6/18 p and not 6/6.
  • As your eye power is very high, you will have some residual power even after the LASIK.
  • Moreover, your squint is also very large. So, you may need to get both eyes operated for the squint correction. Even after this surgery, there will be a residual deviation.

Do discuss with your doctor regarding these points.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Thanks for your reply. But, I am confused. What I understand is that there is no solution for my eye problem. It will be the same even after surgery. Am I correct?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Sorry, I did not mean that. I am just asking you to keep your expectations a little low.

Regarding squint, you may need to get both the eyes operated for this large an angle of exotropia. Surgery gives a favorable outcome in 90 % of the patients but a little under or overcorrection is possible.

Regarding LASIK, there are two aspects to understand:

1. As your right eye seems amblyopic, the vision in the right eye will be 6/18 even after the LASIK. That is, it will be less than your left eye.
  2. You have very high myopia in the right eye. So, there may be some residual refractive error even after LASIK.

I am not discouraging you and I would recommend these surgeries for you. But, sometimes patients have huge expectations from surgery. I am just requesting you to understand the fact and outcome of surgery. The difference in corneal thickness of two eyes is around 40 micron. For such a huge difference, I usually repeat pachymetry.

I hope this helps. Regards.

My age is 26. I have crossed eyes/squint eyes. Suggest me any solution.

Query: Hi, My age is 26 years. I have crossed eyes problem. Can it be brought back to normal by a surgery?  Read Full »

Can my diplopia be a sign of MS?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 23 years old female. Can you please explain to me the clinical presentation of decompensated phoria? I have had diplopia for over two years now, binocular, horizontal, worse on distant gaze. I have had an MRI as well, but no lesions found in my brain stem or other areas. Only a f...  Read Full »