Q. Will squint surgery improve vision?

Dr. Chandrashekhar Kale
Published on Jan 23, 2017

I am a 29 year old male. My left eye is not entirely blind, but if I watch a powerful light, I just see a low white light. This problem is about 23 years. Is it due to retinal detachment and it has become squint heavily. I repaired my detachment with scleral buckle nine months ago, and it is the same likely previous time. If I want a strabismus surgery now, is it possible? What should be the minimum gap between these two surgeries? Are there any risks of my squint surgery? I have got surgery in my eyes thrice previously. First time for cataract, second time retinal detachment repair with silicon oil and the third time for silicon oil removal.

I also have rubber or scleral buckle inside of my eye. Will they get removed during the strabismus surgery? Will strabismus surgery affect my good vision that is, my right eye? If yes, then how long will it take to recover? If the answer no, then please explain me the real reason. I am asking all the above as a second opinion from you before heading to the operation. Thank you.

Dr. Chandrashekhar Kale

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• You can undergo squint correction surgery in your left eye. However, this will purely be a cosmetic surgery.
  • There will be no improvement in your left eye vision. Also, there will be a possibility of recurrence of squint in left eye after surgery, as the eye is almost blind.
  • The scleral buckle has to be removed before squint surgery after taking clearance from the retina surgeon. Both the surgeries can be done in the same setting.
  • The strabismus surgery will not affect your good (right eye) vision.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

After squint surgery, will my eyes look straight?

Query: Hi, I am 20 years old. Next month I am going to have my squint surgery for cosmetic purpose. I do not have vision in my right eye now and it turned inwards. After this surgery, will both my eyes look straight? Either I see left or right or up or down will both my eyes work together? How many hour...  Read Full »

My age is 26. I have crossed eyes/squint eyes. Suggest me any solution.

Query: Hi, My age is 26 years. I have crossed eyes problem. Can it be brought back to normal by a surgery?  Read Full »

What is causing vision problems in both the eyes?

Query: Hi doctor, I have attached the scan reports of my aunt. She is 54 years old, diabetic, and hypertensive. She is on medication to control sugar and BP. She had an eye surgery before one year for some nerve problem in one of her eyes. The reason given by the ophthalmologist was diabetes. Now, her comp...  Read Full »