Q. I experience hair thinning due to excessive shedding of hair. What should I do?

Dr. Deepti Shukla

I am a 22-year-old girl, and I am experiencing hair thinning. I have more shedding, and it seems that my hair is not coming back. I am taking Biotin. I cannot visit a doctor here because of the pandemic, and I am scared of going bald. What should I do?

#

The most common causes of hair loss in girls are female pattern hair loss and telogen effluvium.

I need to ask you a few questions. Do you get your periods regularly? Do you have thyroid disease or anyone in the family has it? Did you fall sick in the last six months?

Kindly revert with answers and photos of the scalp from front and top, so I can provide you a definitive diagnosis and suggest treatment accordingly.

Yes, I do get my periods regularly. I have no idea if my family has it. And, I do not know if I have because I have not been tested for it. I did not get sick in the last six months, but I have experienced stress in college. Also, my hair easily falls out when I pull them gently or comb. There is a tiny white bulb on the root. I have attached the photos.

#

Thanks for sharing the photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, you have female pattern hair loss. It is a progressive condition that occurs due to genetic and hormonal components. As it is a progressive condition without treatment, hair thinning and fall will continue.

Investigations:

1. Thyroid profile.

2. CBC (complete blood count).

Take tablet Trichospire as per instructions on the box. Apply Halox lotion once daily at night only on small quantities on scalp 8-10 drops on the top and front of the scalp.for two weeks. This will control your active hair fall. But I need to change this treatment after two weeks.

Do not apply Halox lotion for more than two weeks.

Follow up in two weeks.

|