I did IgG test for HSV-1 and HSV-2 after four months of possible exposure, which was negative. Is it conclusive? Is there any need to do IgM test? If IgG is negative, can I consider that I am not infected?
The time required for IgG (immunoglobulin G) antibodies to develop after the exposure to HSV (herpes simplex virus) is usually 21 to 42 days. A negative HSV IgG means that you have probably not been exposed to HSV.
HSV IgM (immunoglobulin M) will tell whether you have an acute or current infection. These usually takes 9 to 10 days to develop after the infection and lasts for 7 to 14 days.
If the high-risk exposure was four months back and there had been no other exposure, HSV IgG will suffice. I will also suggest that if you had a high-risk exposure, get your rapid HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) antibody test done.
Hope your query is answered, but if you have any other question, please revert.
Thank you for replying. I have had an HIV antibody test, which was negative. But my chlamydia IgG is negative, and IgM is weakly positive. I took Doxy 1 L-DR forte for seven days after this exposure. I also got a gram stain urine test for gonococci, which was negative. Now I am taking Levofloxacin 750 mg for ten days as per my doctor's advice. Is negative HIV antibody test and HIV PCR conclusive after four months? Is negative gram stain urine test for gonococci definitive after four months? Why is chlamydia IgG negative and IgM weakly positive? Will urine PCR for chlamydia and gonococci detect infection if we check on the eighth day after exposure? For PCR, the first urine was taken at 6 AM and handed over to the laboratory at 10 AM. Will this time lag interfere with the final result? I had sex with my wife only once after this incident, and I have checked her urine routine today, I am attaching the reports. Does it mean that she is also infected? Does routine urine culture detect chlamydia or gonorrhea?
Thank you for the reply. Will Levofloxacin 750 mg cure chlamydia? Will a throat swab PCR detect both chlamydia and gonorrhea? After completing Levofloxacin, when should I get retested? Does Levofloxacin cure both chlamydia and gonorrhea? In my wife's routine urine test the pus cells and epithelial cells are above normal. Does it mean she has any infection?
Levofloxacin 750 once a day for seven days will work for chlamydia. For chlamydia, a urine sample is given, and for gonorrhea, a throat swab is taken. Retesting is generally preferred at least after two weeks.
Yes, Levofloxacin is used for both chlamydia and gonorrhea infections.
Your wife's routine urine examination is normal.
Hope your queries are answered, but if you still have any more questions, please revert.
1) I could not see any attachment in this query. Testing or screening for Chlamydia can be done
as early as 24 hours after the exposure. The incubation period varies and it is suggested for the most accurate results get tested two weeks after the exposure. If Chlamydia test is positive, it is suggested to repeat the test after 2 weeks of treatment completion so as to confirm that Chlamydial infection is cleared from the body.
2) Chlamydia ELISA IgM & IgG
3) Yes, IgM will slowly wane off and IgG will appear and this will indicate protective immune response and a past infection.
4) Both to be tested again, as your earlier result was weakly reactive.
Hope your queries are answered, but if you still have any other question, please don't hesitate to ask or contact.
1) The complete STD panel performed for your wife is conclusive.
2) Gonorrhoea can be acquired from a person infected with it, during oral sex. The bacteria spreads through oral sex with an infected partner. If you had oral sex with that person, throat swab is preferred.
Hope your query is answered, but please do not hesitate to ask or call for any doubts.
suppose the person I engaged is having gonorrea and Iam doing both inter course and oral whether I will be infect only oral gonorrea.I think If I do both act then I will infect genital aswellas oral.Iam asking this because my urine gram stain negative.I have engaged both oral aswellas intercourse
Most men who are infected with Gonorrhoea shows symptoms within two to five days after exposure, with a possibility of manifestation upto 30 days. This could be in the form of yellow- white discharge from penis/ burning in the urine/ pain or swelling of testicles.
Gonorrhoea infection of mouth is usually without symptoms. But if present, this includes soreness or redness in the mouth or throat. Throat swab culture test will help to determine the Gonorrhoea infection.
The specimen choice depends on sexual orientation of person besides other factors.
Urethral swab and or throat swab is preferred.
Urine sample is one of the specimen type suitable for PCR test
Hope you have got answers to your query, but please feel free to ask or call.
1) Throat swab for Gonorrhoea is generally recommended in men who have sex with men and had oral sex. Gram stain is sensitive and specific for urethral sample but is not sufficient for throat sample. In addition to culture, NAAT is also available.
3) Although tests are very sensitive and specific and there is very small chance of being false Negative.
4) In throat sample, back of the throat and tonsillar area is swabbed with a sterile swab. Swab is just like a cotton bud but is smaller and round in shape. No prior preparation is required.
Hope your queries are answered, but feel free to ask any question.
1) Today I met my doctor and told about the oral gonerea (Not tested).He has given me Azee 500 mg 2 tabs to be consumed once (Injection is allergic to me)
and cefixime 200mg twice daily for 1 week.Is it OK for oral gonorrea (If Iam affected).
2) If Iam doing routine Throat swab culture whether I need to tell lab to test oral gonorrea specifically or just ask them to do routine culture and I can find the same in the result.
3) If iam infected with oral gonarrea what will be written in the throat swab culture report?
1) you have been given adequate treatment. If you have yet not started the treatment, wait for it, if you are planning to go for throat swab. If you have already strated with it, inform the lab person about the medicines you are taking.
2)You need to tell that you require throat swab culture for Gonorrhoea.
3) Don't worry for report card. It will be given by designated lab person. It could be in the form of gram negative, oxidase positive diplococci isolated indicating Gonorrhoea or it can be Negative for it.
Hope your questions are answered but you are always welcome to ask or call anytime.
1) After treatment of chlamydia which test I have to do whether it is IGG and IGM or can I do Urine PCR? Which is most appropriate?
2) What about oral gonorrea which test I have to do after treatment PCR of throat swab or Culture?
3) As my gram stain urine test for gonorrea is Negative after 4.5 months ,is it need to repeat the same again ?
1) You can go for urine PCR for Chlamydia.
3)No, you need not to repeat it.
4) VDRL for syphilis (if it has not been done before).
5) Just to highlight the fact that even if a partner has an STI, it does not necessarily leads to transmission. The risk of transmission from a single exposure is not known. There is no point of worrying of HPV/EBV. There is no need to go for it.
Hope I have answered your questions, but don't hesitate to ask or call anytime.
1) After treatment of chlamydia how many days the burning sensation of penis exists?
2) I have some small milky bubbles is seen in the lips especially in the corners.What may that? sometime my tongue looks white? Pls analyze this?
1) get your routine urine examination as well as urine Culture sensitivity.
2) There could be many causes. It requires proper examination. However, sending photos of lesions might be of some help.
Was this answer helpful?
Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!
.. required for IgG (immunoglobulin G) antibodies to develop after the exposure to HSV (herpes simplex virus) is usually 21 to 42 days. A negative HSV IgG means that you have probably not been exposed to HSV.
HSV IgM (immunoglobulin M) will tell whet... Read full
.. suffering from chronic prostatitis. It is very difficult to treat. Ideally, prostatic massage and EPS or semen culture must be done. But, if you have an improvement with Levofloxacin, then you can take it. The side effects are if you take it for a... Read full
Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.