Lip Sucking Habit

Please suggest a solution for blackness in the upper lip due to lip sucking habit.

Query: Hello doctor, When I was young I used to lick my lips a lot causing a red line above my lips and under my nose. One day I went out and came back with a permanent blackness above my upper lip (not my skin color). It lools like I have a mustache. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Sidharth Sonthalia

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Hair Transplant Surgeon, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, we would be able to help you the most if you are able to provide us with a clinical photograph of your condition. Based on the brief history you have provided to us, you seem to be suffering from Lip-lick cheilitis induced post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. ...  Read Full »

How to stop the lip sucking habit of my daughter?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has been sucking her lip since her childhood. She is 14 years old. Now, her lip has become very swollen.  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need to get an oral screen, custom-made for your daughter, which she has to wear continuously for three to four months duration. Oral screen can be made if you go to a dentist. The habit can be stopped only along with the will of the patient as she is already 14 years...  Read Full »