Q. I lick my lips a lot and it causes a permanent blackness above my upper lip. Please help.

Dr. Sidharth Sonthalia
Published on Nov 09, 2019

When I was young I used to lick my lips a lot causing a red line above my lips and under my nose. One day I went out and came back with a permanent blackness above my upper lip (not my skin color). It lools like I have a mustache. Please help.

Dr. Sidharth Sonthalia

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Hair Transplant Surgeon Venereology
#

Well, we would be able to help you the most if you are able to provide us with a clinical photograph of your condition.

Based on the brief history you have provided to us, you seem to be suffering from Lip-lick cheilitis induced post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. In simple words, your habit of licking lips too often in childhood made the skin surrounding the lips (called vermillion border of the lips) too sensitive that it developed red lines and made it vulnerable to sun-induced pigmentation. One episode of having stayed out may have resulted in the tanning of the sensitive lip area resulting in pigmentation.

To prevent it from becoming darker, you should immediately start using a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF (sun protection factor) of 40+ at least twice a day, every day, irrespective of your outdoor exposure. I am sure you will be able to procure a sunscreen from the pharmacy. For further details about ideal sun protection, you may read the sun protection information posted on our website.

Additionally, use a good moisturizer over the lip and surrounding skin at least twice a day.

To reduce the established pigmentation, a mild depigmenting cream may be needed. However, to suggest the ideal depigmenting cream for your condition, I would need to see the photograph of your pigmentation.

How can I get rid of post acne hyperpigmentation?

Query: Hello doctor,I need to get rid of the post acne hyperpigmentation that is a year old. I have had post-acne hyperpigmentation on my arm and back since I was 15 years old and have tried everything to fade and nothing works.  Read Full >>

Dr. Dilip Meena
Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. 1. Post acne hyperpigmentation lasting for so long is not very common. 2. There are two kinds of options for post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Either using creams at home which I will prescribe you below or going for cosmetic procedures like microdermabrasion, or...  Read Full