Q. How to stop the lip sucking habit of my daughter?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

My daughter has been sucking her lip since her childhood. She is 14 years old. Now, her lip has become very swollen.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

• You need to get an oral screen, custom-made for your daughter, which she has to wear continuously for three to four months duration. Oral screen can be made if you go to a dentist.
  • The habit can be stopped only along with the will of the patient as she is already 14 years old now. She needs to understand the consequences of this problem.
  • Her behavior can be changed only with positive and negative reinforcements from your side.
  • Positive reinforcement should be given step by step by appreciating the patient if she avoids it for at least one to two hour and rewarding her for her effort.
  • If possible, post some pictures of the lip area to help us understand the severity of the problem. Thank you.

For further information consult an orthodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthodontist

|