Q. Is newborn screening test necessary?

Dr. Aparna M Sathawane
This is a premium question & answer published on May 21, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 23, 2021

My wife is pregnant, and the expected due date is in twenty days. I heard about newborn screening test, is it essential? Because it costs a lot. And please guide us about the medication and vaccination, after the baby's birth.

#

• The newborn screening test is not mandatory at all. It is advisable when a family has some known genetic or metabolic disorder. Do not do cord blood banking.
  • A newborn baby does not require any medicines, except mother's milk. But, some drops of multivitamin and calcium are routinely given, which are not expensive.
  • BCG (Bacillus Calmette-Guerin) and oral polio are mandatory vaccines given at birth. Hepatitis B is also given routinely.
  • The vaccination schedule will be given to you at the time of discharge from a pediatrician.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you, doctor,

You advised us not to opt for cord blood banking. But, we already opted for this. Kindly tells us the pros and cons of cord blood banking.

#

• Cord blood banking is useful if you have a family history of blood disorder or any genetic disorder. But, its benefits are not still proven.
  • And it is too expensive.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|