Q. Is newborn screening test necessary?

Dr. Aparna M Sathawane

My wife is pregnant, and the expected due date is in twenty days. I heard about newborn screening test, is it essential? Because it costs a lot. And please guide us about the medication and vaccination, after the baby's birth.

Dr. Aparna M Sathawane

Childbirth Educator Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• The newborn screening test is not mandatory at all. It is advisable when a family has some known genetic or metabolic disorder. Do not do cord blood banking.
  • A newborn baby does not require any medicines, except mother's milk. But, some drops of multivitamin and calcium are routinely given, which are not expensive.
  • BCG (Bacillus Calmette-Guerin) and oral polio are mandatory vaccines given at birth. Hepatitis B is also given routinely.
  • The vaccination schedule will be given to you at the time of discharge from a pediatrician.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Thank you, doctor,

You advised us not to opt for cord blood banking. But, we already opted for this. Kindly tells us the pros and cons of cord blood banking.

Dr. Aparna M Sathawane

#

• Cord blood banking is useful if you have a family history of blood disorder or any genetic disorder. But, its benefits are not still proven.
  • And it is too expensive.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Are my HBV and HCV tests conclusive?

Query: Hi doctor, I have attached my three medical test reports, of which, two are for HBV, and one result is for HCV. These results are almost six months old, and they were taken exactly after six months of potential exposure to these viruses. I have not had any symptoms in the past one year, but I unde...  Read Full »

Is my weight loss due to hepatitis B?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old male. I would like to describe the series of events to you and need your advice as I have been most disturbed post this event in my life. It has been eight months since my first ever sexual encounter, but I am still tensed and lost. I am too scared to get a blood tes...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to get vaccinated after a dog bite?

Query: Hi doctor, My child has a wound in his inner part of the foot. He is 3.6 years old. He is saying that a puppy bites him and also says injured from stone. We are confused and visited a doctor. He advised us to four doses of injection. Will it cause any side effect when there is no dog bite?  Read Full »