Q. My 5 months old baby often cries due to gas problem. Please help.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My baby has just completed 5 months. We are giving her formula milk since my wife had less milk. She has constant problems with gas. I have given her Colicaid before a feed and burp her 15 to 20 minutes after every feed and gas gets released as well. Even after that, she cries due to gas pain. I then keep on patting her and can hear gas get released after some 30 minutes of feeding. Her doctor has prescribed Anafortan if she cries even after Colicaid is given. At times she spits up milk in curd form after 2 hours feed. Can you please help? I am not sure if this is a problem with the formula milk.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

• As per your history, this is an absolutely normal phenomenon in this age group. The child will pass gas like a big person. Do not worry.
  • Regarding the use of Colicaid (Simethicone), it is an absolutely safe medicine. Please stick to it only when necessary.
  • Also, you can shift to the next stage of formula milk after the child completes 6 months.
  • If the weight of your child is somewhere between 5 to 7 kg, then your child is gaining good weight and the digestive system seems normal.
  • Normal phenomena are the child may pass stools 8 to 10 times per day or once in two days till the age of six months. The child may sleep through the day and stay awake at night, the child may cry just before or after passing urine or stool and child may pass gas like a big person.
  • Abnormal phenomena are lethargy, refusal to feed, convulsion, yellowish discoloration and repeated vomiting without passing stools and with abdominal distention.

Apparently normal phenomenon.

Ultrasonography abdomen.

Continue Colicaid drops as advised.

For further information consult a paediatrician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|