Q. I have diarrhea following constipation for a long time. Why?

Published on Jun 21, 2019

I am having a slightly upset stomach with bloating for the past four months. I thought I had a bug. Two weeks later, it seemed much better. However, my bowel movements did not return to normal. I had mostly constipation for about a month (even though my stomach did not feel as upset anymore). Then after that month, things flipped and now for the last four weeks at least, I have had movements that are almost diarrhea (very soft, formed only slightly). Colour does not seem abnormal and there is not a bad smell and I do not see oil drops in the toilet bowl. Every morning I have this. I also am having increasing stomach reactions. Every time I put food into my mouth, the gurgling starts. I am not feeling this is a food intolerance as it happens instantly no matter what I eat. I also get a lot of bloating due to the gas.

I will, of course, be following up with my doctor, but wanted to ask here. I have a history of breast cancer, so I easily get concerned about cancers (I realize that breast cancer does not often spread to the bowels, but I am still worried about another cancer). I am not a person with a strong history of gastrointestinal upset. I did go through about 7 to 8 weeks of something about seven years ago and never really had a true explanation. Those symptoms accompanied many other symptoms such as nerve pain, twitching, cramping. I felt as though I was having an autoimmune type reaction and am now wondering if it was tied to hormonal changes as my periods changed at the very same time as I had those symptoms (perimenopause). I am currently on Letrozole for hormone positive breast cancer targeted therapy. I had my ovaries out two years ago. So my body is definitely experiencing a massive drop in estrogen over the past two years. I am wondering if you have any thoughts on what this could be? No blood in the stool.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

Your history fits into the acid peptic disease. I do not find any sign of cancer over here (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I would recommend you the following. A combination of Pantoprazole and Domperidone once daily for a few days. A good probiotic, to take a soft and bland diet, to walk after all meals. I would also recommend you to get your thyroid profile checked.

I had my thyroid checked via bloodwork. Is this what you mean? My stomach is just constantly churning or gurgling and not stopping. I have even tried to just stop eating today. Does diarrhea fit? Would I feel a burning sensation if there is an acidic component? May I ask why you do not suspect cancer? And what causes this condition?

#

Yes, I also mean to say about the blood test of the thyroid. Hopefully, that is normal. The gurgling of the stomach and acidity feeling are found in acid peptic disease. Usually, cancer presents with weight loss, fever , blood in stools or vomitus. Your symptoms are simply suggestive of acid peptic disease. This can happen due to overeating , taking spicy food and unhygienic food from a hotel. The medicines that I have mentioned should help you.

Does constipation cause burning sensation in anus?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a burning sensation in anus after bowel movements for past one week. There is no blood discharge and poop was soft. I avoid eating spicy foods. The burning sensation lasts for hours.  Read Full >>

Dr. Akant Kaushal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The most common cause of burning sensation in anus following stools will be the consumption of spicy food. Another cause can be constipation, which can cause fissures around the anus. If this is the condition, apply Diltiazem gel 2 % three to four times a day for se...  Read Full

What can be done to manage constipation?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 22 years old and severely constipated. I have a bowel movement once every week and a half, or even two weeks. I eat normal foods as any 22 year old would. I love fruits and drink lots of water, etc. I am on my fourth day of Miralax and nothing has happened. The only thing that has w...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to be suffering from an acid peptic disease associated with functional constipation. I would recommend you the following: 1. A combination of Pantoprazole and Levosulpride once daily. This would help you with bloating and reduce gurgling sounds. 2. To take sy...  Read Full