Q. I have diarrhea following constipation for a long time. Why?

I am having a slightly upset stomach with bloating for the past four months. I thought I had a bug. Two weeks later, it seemed much better. However, my bowel movements did not return to normal. I had mostly constipation for about a month (even though my stomach did not feel as upset anymore). Then after that month, things flipped and now for the last four weeks at least, I have had movements that are almost diarrhea (very soft, formed only slightly). Colour does not seem abnormal and there is not a bad smell and I do not see oil drops in the toilet bowl. Every morning I have this. I also am having increasing stomach reactions. Every time I put food into my mouth, the gurgling starts. I am not feeling this is a food intolerance as it happens instantly no matter what I eat. I also get a lot of bloating due to the gas.

I will, of course, be following up with my doctor, but wanted to ask here. I have a history of breast cancer, so I easily get concerned about cancers (I realize that breast cancer does not often spread to the bowels, but I am still worried about another cancer). I am not a person with a strong history of gastrointestinal upset. I did go through about 7 to 8 weeks of something about seven years ago and never really had a true explanation. Those symptoms accompanied many other symptoms such as nerve pain, twitching, cramping. I felt as though I was having an autoimmune type reaction and am now wondering if it was tied to hormonal changes as my periods changed at the very same time as I had those symptoms (perimenopause). I am currently on Letrozole for hormone positive breast cancer targeted therapy. I had my ovaries out two years ago. So my body is definitely experiencing a massive drop in estrogen over the past two years. I am wondering if you have any thoughts on what this could be? No blood in the stool.