Q. Shall I opt flap surgery and bone graft for my loose tooth?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on Aug 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am having severe toothache and loose teeth. I used to chew tobacco for the past 10 years. I am getting severe tooth pain often and some blister in the gums. My upper sixth tooth got loose and was removed three years ago. I have been to a local dentist and they advised deep scaling, root canal therapy for two teeth and flap surgery followed by bone grafting. This treatment is being too expensive; kindly suggest if there is anything else that can be done. Are all these treatments required in my case? I have attached my prescription and x-rays for your reference.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

• It seems that the loose teeth have gone beyond repair and should be removed (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • The alternative treatment plan, which is cost effective, do deep scaling first to get clean gums and teeth and then use Betadine mouthwash for one month.
  • Get the loose tooth removed as it cannot be saved. Flap surgery and bone grafting need not be done as they have a low success rate.
  • In the gaps formed by removal of the tooth, place a fixed tooth to get a good occlusion.
  • Do cleaning for every six months to prevent such blisters and loose teeth.

For further doubts consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Here, my doctor says that if I do not go with the flap surgery, then the same problem might occur on the remaining teeth and that worries me.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

#

• If you can keep your teeth clean and do scaling every six months, then there is very less chance of it spreading to other tooth.  Use either Betadine mouthwash whenever possible or warm salt water.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

I swallowed Povidone iodine mouthwash by mistake. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 22 year old. I drank Povidone-iodine germicide gargle 10 ml in the morning and 10 ml in the afternoon. Will it affect my health as I am suffering from gastritis? I am also taking other medicines for acid reflux and my other question is that I feel a burning sensation in my left...  Read Full »

Why do I have bad breath in spite of flossing and using mouthwash?

Query: Hello doctor, Majority of times after I floss and then brush my teeth afterward I use cool mint Listerine mouthwash. I do not understand what is going on but my fiance says I have an unpleasant smell in my mouth. I do not have to be so close to him talking. After I had a wash with the Listerine, I ...  Read Full »

What causes swelling behind the last tooth?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a slight swelling on the skin in my mouth near my back teeth. It is slightly bigger than the other side. It has been there since three days. Though it does not hurt, there is some irritation when I eat or drink. I am not aware whether I bumped it while brushing. If so, then it ...  Read Full »