Q. Shall I opt flap surgery and bone graft for my loose tooth?

Answered by
Dr. Naveen Thomas
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hi doctor,

I am having severe toothache and loose teeth. I used to chew tobacco for the past 10 years. I am getting severe tooth pain often and some blister in the gums. My upper sixth tooth got loose and was removed three years ago. I have been to a local dentist and they advised deep scaling, root canal therapy for two teeth and flap surgery followed by bone grafting. This treatment is being too expensive; kindly suggest if there is anything else that can be done. Are all these treatments required in my case? I have attached my prescription and x-rays for your reference.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • It seems that the loose teeth have gone beyond repair and should be removed (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • The alternative treatment plan, which is cost effective, do deep scaling first to get clean gums and teeth and then use Betadine mouthwash for one month.
  • Get the loose tooth removed as it cannot be saved. Flap surgery and bone grafting need not be done as they have a low success rate.
  • In the gaps formed by removal of the tooth, place a fixed tooth to get a good occlusion.
  • Do cleaning for every six months to prevent such blisters and loose teeth.

For further doubts consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Thank you doctor,

Here, my doctor says that if I do not go with the flap surgery, then the same problem might occur on the remaining teeth and that worries me.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • If you can keep your teeth clean and do scaling every six months, then there is very less chance of it spreading to other tooth.  Use either Betadine mouthwash whenever possible or warm salt water.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
I am coughing for last one month. Do I have tuberculosis?

But, in case when I breathe out from the mouth, I get some feeling inside throat to the chest, and I begin to cough ...   Read full

What treatment can be done for cold with swollen nose?

.. be due to viral infection or bacterial infection or allergy. Use water vapor inhalation and salt water gargling thrice a day for five days. Avoid cool drinks and freeze water, avoid smoking and caffeine drinks. Use tablet Montelukast and Levocetir...   Read full

I have a pus pimple at the area of flap surgery. Please guide me.

I had a root canal treatment done on the lower left side second molar about four to five years back by an endodontist ... The infection is due to the improperly...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Sporting Events During the Pandemic
If you are into any sporting event and plan a trip to an outdoor or indoor stadium, or you are an organizer or an athlet...  Read more»
Can viral fever lead to Parkinson's disease?
Hello doctor,I had a viral fever six years back. I had a very high temperature of 105, bad cough, also hallucinations. I...  Read more»
Parkinson's Disease: Historical Aspects and Current Treatment Approaches
This article discusses the historical aspects of Parkinsonism and, the evidence based approaches currently available for...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dentist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.