Q. Shall I opt flap surgery and bone graft for my loose tooth?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am having severe toothache and loose teeth. I used to chew tobacco for the past 10 years. I am getting severe tooth pain often and some blister in the gums. My upper sixth tooth got loose and was removed three years ago. I have been to a local dentist and they advised deep scaling, root canal therapy for two teeth and flap surgery followed by bone grafting. This treatment is being too expensive; kindly suggest if there is anything else that can be done. Are all these treatments required in my case? I have attached my prescription and x-rays for your reference.

#

• It seems that the loose teeth have gone beyond repair and should be removed (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • The alternative treatment plan, which is cost effective, do deep scaling first to get clean gums and teeth and then use Betadine mouthwash for one month.
  • Get the loose tooth removed as it cannot be saved. Flap surgery and bone grafting need not be done as they have a low success rate.
  • In the gaps formed by removal of the tooth, place a fixed tooth to get a good occlusion.
  • Do cleaning for every six months to prevent such blisters and loose teeth.

For further doubts consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Here, my doctor says that if I do not go with the flap surgery, then the same problem might occur on the remaining teeth and that worries me.

#

• If you can keep your teeth clean and do scaling every six months, then there is very less chance of it spreading to other tooth.  Use either Betadine mouthwash whenever possible or warm salt water.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|