Losartan

Kindly evaluate the cardiac drugs of my father for heart attack.

Query: Hello doctor, My father recently had a heart attack and a stroke. Then had two heart valves repaired and they want to put a stent in. His list of medications does not seem to make sense and although he loves his cardiologist. I do not think he is paying enough attention. I am in the medical field a...  Read Full »

Dr. Rohit Jain

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Let us evaluate all medications your father is receiving. Diagnosis: Valvotomy, CAD with MI (coronary artery disease with myocardial infarction) and CVA (cerebrovascular accident) (recovered). Tablet Metoprolol is essential in patients with heart attacks as it slows th...  Read Full »

Will Lopar-SR help to acclimatize high altitudes in diabetic patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 71-year-old male with h/o HTN and diabetes. They are well under control with Amlopres one tablet daily and Cetaphin 500 mg two tablets daily, Clopitab 75 mg one tablet daily. I have a cyst in my kidney which is asymptotic. Nephrologist did not prescribe any medicine for that. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had a look at your query. And would first like to congratulate you on maintaining controlled sugar and blood pressure. Now I would agree with the entire prescription meant for you. The medicine Lopar (Lorsatan) has some side effects but it is not serious enough to...  Read Full »

What could be a white patch under the tongue that does not rub off?

Query: Hi doctor, Can you please provide me with your opinion on a white patch under my tongue. It does not rub off and just noticed it a few days ago. I am currently on Losartan 100 mg.  Read Full »

Dr. Beryl Fredrick

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and saw your clinical pictures. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). These pictures look a little blurred and a clearer picture will make the diagnosis easier. It could be a drug-induced lichenoid reaction or lichen planus p...  Read Full »

Is it fine to take Losalex twice a day to control hypertension?

Query: Hi doctor, I know a patient who is having hypertension. The doctor has prescribed Losalife H in the morning and Losalex 50 in the night. Is this an excess dose or is it normal?  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It depends entirely on the extent of BP (blood pressure) elevation. Usually, most of the patients become well on once-daily dosing. But in some patients, we need twice daily dosing. So often, once daily is enough. But if the BP is not getting controlled or there is too ...  Read Full »

My husband had Losar Beta H twice by mistake. Will it cause any side effect?

Query: Hi doctor, My husband used to have Losar Beta H for his BP in the morning and Storvas 10 mg at night. But, mistakenly, he had Losar Beta H again at night. Will it cause any side effect? Should he have Storvas now?  Read Full »

Dr. Pramod Bhanudas Narkhede

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not worry. He can have Storvas (Atorvastatin) now. But, he should not repeat this mistake again. Ask him to take Losar Beta H (combination of Losartan, Atenolol and Hydrochlorothiazide) at a specific time in a day keeping it in a separate pill box. Just a single extra ...  Read Full »

Can I take Telmisartan-Cilnidipine instead of Losartan for high blood pressure?

Query: Hello doctor, I have high blood pressure 171/90 with pulse rate 79, blood sugar under control after medication (fasting is 120 and PP is 146). I am taking high blood pressure medicine Losartan Potassium 50 mg. Can I start Telmisartan and Cilnidipine tablets instead of Losartan Potassium with my blo...  Read Full »

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From what you mentioned, you have uncontrolled elevated blood pressure which requires upgrading of your medication. Losartan has the same efficacy as Telmisartan as both are from the same group. I suggest that you change Losartan to Telmisartan/Cilnidipine as the co...  Read Full »

Is there any BP medicine without side effect?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a cardiac patient since 16 years after a massive MI followed by an angioplasty. Thereafter, I was taking medication to control high BP along with Aspirin as well as for cholesterol. Recently, I have another mild attack and did my second angioplasty. My BP is fluctuating between 150/9...  Read Full »

Dr. Rishu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Nebistar - Nebivolol is a beta blocker and is associated with dizziness and erectile dysfunction. I would suggest you shift from Nebistar 5 mg to Carvedilol 6.25 mg twice daily for two weeks and thereafter increasing the dosage to 12.5 mg twice daily optimum for heart p...  Read Full »

Why do I get anxiety and hot flushes at 4 PM everyday?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently was referred to a renal specialist for low sodium levels by my primary care physician. After a complete kidney workup, he said that they were functioning well. But, he changed my hypertension medicine from Lisinopril to Losartan and discontinued my diuretics. As a result, my...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am not sure why he was reluctant to put you back on Lisinopril when you had no real issues with it in the first place. Both Lisinopril and Losartan are sister medications but from two different groups that works pretty much in the same way. If your kidneys are tolera...  Read Full »

Please suggest hypertension medicines which will not cause dyspnea.

Query: Hello doctor,I have hypertension, and in my childhood, I suffered from asthma. I have been prescribed ARB (angiotensin receptor blockers) to treat my hypertension; however, I have experienced side effects that lead to discontinuing the medication. Losartan 100 mg caused nervousness. Candesartan 8...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not worry about it, as there are multiple options available. The side effects are class effect and all drugs from this class will have these effects and will not suit you. You need to change to other class of medicine. I suggest tablet Amlodipine 5 mg, once a d...  Read Full »

Should anything be done to pull out the excess iron level in blood?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 61 year old male. For many years, I was treated for hemochromatosis. Then, about 12 years ago, I had a genetic test. The results prompted the hematologist to abruptly stop the recurring phlebotomies. I do not recall the test result and apparently, it cannot be located. But, I r...  Read Full »

Dr. Santosh Badaku Desai

General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Your iron saturation and serum ferritin is high and these are suggestive of iron overload or hereditary hemochromatosis (HH). You talked about a test that was done and then the hematologist stopped the phlebotomy. I think, probably he must have ...  Read Full »