Q. Should anything be done to pull out the excess iron level in blood?

Dr. Santosh Badaku Desai
Published on Dec 31, 2016

I am a 61 year old male. For many years, I was treated for hemochromatosis. Then, about 12 years ago, I had a genetic test. The results prompted the hematologist to abruptly stop the recurring phlebotomies. I do not recall the test result and apparently, it cannot be located. But, I remember it was something about the homozygotic versus heterozygotic situation. My current iron level is high at 216 mcg/dL, IBC is normal at 259 and iron saturation is high at 83%. The ferritin is also high at 1042 mg/dL. All blood count factors are in the normal range. Should anything be done to pull out some of the iron? Currently, I am taking Losartan, Hydrochlorothiazide and Relpax.

Dr. Santosh Badaku Desai

General Practitioner Internal Medicine
#

I understand your concern.

• Your iron saturation and serum ferritin is high and these are suggestive of iron overload or hereditary hemochromatosis (HH).
  • You talked about a test that was done and then the hematologist stopped the phlebotomy. I think, probably he must have found a homozygous variant.
  • Studies have shown that the majority of the patients who are found to have homozygous HH during a population screening studies are likely to be asymptomatic. They usually have a normal lifespan even if they do not undergo phlebotomy.
  • However, since your ferritin levels are high, I would suggest that you go for a weekly phlebotomy after talking to your hematologist.
  • I would also like to know a few details, so that we can confirm if you are symptomatic or asymptomatic.
  1. Do you have any history of liver disease or deranged liver enzyme? Also, please let me know whether you started on Relpax (Eletriptan) for a headache?
  2. Do you have any history of decreased vision, dizziness or vertigo and diabetes?
  3. Is there any history of a similar disease in the family?

Revert back with the details to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Why do I feel giddy while standing or walking?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 56 year old male. I am on BP medicine Cresar 40 since a month. Prior to that, I was on Aten 50. Now, my BP is around 130/100 mmHg and before it was 160/106 mmHg. When I take my walk or I am standing I feel giddy, probably for less than a second. It is more prevalent when I turn my...  Read Full »

Hearing has deteriorated significantly with vertigo. Can it be due to acoustic neuroma?

Query: Hi doctor, I have no current medications. Over the past 2 or 3 years, my hearing in my left ear only has deteriorated significantly. I would say it is less than half as good as my right. I went to an ENT doctor, with an audiologist appointment. The audiologist said I had a moderate hearing loss in ...  Read Full »

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article