Q. I have loss of smell and taste without fever. Does this indicate COVID-19 infection?

Dr. Pandey Saurabh Hridaynarayan
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 20, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 19, 2020

I am a 20-year-old female. I do not have a fever, but I loss my sense of taste and smell. This is already my fifth day without my sense of taste and smell. I do not have a cough or cold right now. My nose is completely dry, but a few weeks ago, I have a runny nose. I do not have difficulty in breathing and I do not smoke. I am taking Tapazole for two years already because I have Graves disease. My last prescriptions is 10 mg Tapazole, so I took two tablets. But right now, I am only taking one tablet (5 mg). I was not able to go to the hospital because of COVID-19. I cut the dosage on my own because that is what my doctor usually do whenever I get better. What I want to consult is for my loss of taste and smell.

#

I read your query and by the nature of symptoms it appears to me as symptoms of COVID-19.

There are various studies that shows, for some people, loss of smell and taste may be the first red flag that they are infected or even the only symptom.

Up to 80% of people who test positive for COVID-19 have subjective complaints of smell or taste loss. I would suggest you to get a test done.

And there is absolutely no worry about it, because it has very low pathogenicity and recovery rate is better. If you need treatment at home, do let me know in the follow ups.

RT- PCR (COVID-19).

|