Q. Can COVID cause loss of smell and taste sensation?

Dr. J N Naidu
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 17, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 04, 2020

For as long as I can remember I have had a deviated septum which resulted in me not being able to breathe through my nose at all. I got a septorhinoplasty done three years back and a month after the surgery I was able to breathe through my nose and smell.

It has been three years and a couple of months ago, I started to experience difficulty in breathing through my nose. At first I thought it could be a common cold or a result of pollen due to the warm whether. However, 4 months later, I still cannot breath through my nose, I have almost completely lost my sense of smell and I am not able to taste food properly. This has caused lack of sleep, stress and annoyance during the day. What can I do?

Dr. J N Naidu

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

You did not mention use of any medication. I am assuming that you are not using any medication now. It appears you have nasal allergy which can create nasal block and other associated symptoms. For COVID-19 also one of the symptoms is loss of smell and taste.

Nasal allergy, COVID-19

COVID-19 test to rule it out.

Nasal allergy, COVID-19

Nasal allergy

L-cetirizine 5mg 10 tablets, 0-0-1 for 10 days.
Saline nasal drops--two drops in each nostril 4 times daily for 10 days.
Avoid cool drinks, ice-creams.

Avoid cool drinks, ice creams.

Review after 3 days.

|