Q. I lost my sense of smell after cold recovery with foreign travel history. Is this a symptom of Covid-19?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

On March 1st I flew to Utah from Texas and developed cold symptoms after three days. It was a normal cold, but as it was almost gone (no more congestion, did not feel sick anymore), I lost the sense of taste and smell overnight. I have not had a sense of taste or smell for 11 days now. I do have a history of losing my sense of taste and smell for a few days during cold with congestion and for four weeks when I had mono.

I did speak with a general doctor and he seems to think my loss of taste and smell is cold or allergy-related so he does not think I have Coronavirus. However, this loss of sense of smell is different than all the rest. I have never been without smell for this long after a normal cold and I have had a fairly clear nose for the entire duration of it so it cannot be due to congestion. I just wanted to get a second opinion on if you think it could be Coronavirus as news has just come out that this is a possible symptom of asymptomatic Coronavirus carriers.

I am currently on Amoxicillin for sinus infection.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I appreciate your timely picking up of the signs and reaching out to us. We have two scenarios.

First, is that you have Coronavirus infection and the cold, allergy, and loss of smell are due to it unless you develop more severe symptoms like fever, temperature, breathing difficulty, respiratory distress, you do not go anywhere out of home. You are gonna remain quarantined till 15 days from now. Take plenty of fluids and water. Eat good and normal diet. Exercise indoors if you can.

Second, it is allergy-related. In this case, it should subside in some time. You can try some nasal steroids and other measures told above. In the first scenario also nasal steroids can be tried.

You can revert back to us if you need any further support.

| 
1 out of 1 likes

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

What causes achy jaw, congested ear and sore throat after receiving a filling in tooth?

Query: Hello doctor, I may have an abscess and I am worried about going into the dentist because of the coronavirus. Currently, I am experiencing an achy jaw and ear congestion on one side, a slightly stiff neck, and a mild sore throat. This comes before one month after a filling repair, and two weeks afte...  Read Full »

How to manage my irritability due to no concentration on my studies during board exams?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having 0% concentration in my studies. My board exams are going on, I have become too irritable. I am also able to make myself happy again but the stress of studying is bothering me as I cannot concentrate. Also, I am motivating myself but still, I cannot.  Read Full »

How to confirm the symptoms of Coronavirus?

Query: Hello doctor, Last night I was getting chills, feeling more cold than usual and lightheaded and a lot of burping. Maybe like every 30 minutes or less or so feel more chills running down my body and chest feeling bit weird like I am starting having trouble breathing then goes back to normal and repe...  Read Full »