Q. Hemoglobin is at 9. 8 g/dL at 37 weeks of pregnancy. Kindly advice what is to be done.

Dr. Uzma Arqam
Published on Aug 23, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My wife is 37 weeks pregnant and the delivery date given by the doctor is 28th of this month. Two months ago, her hemoglobin was 8.9 g/dL and serum ferritin 36.44 ng/mL. The doctor advised drips with Venofer injections. Four drips (100 ml with two Venofer injections each) have been given. The last drip was given on 17th last month. Now today, the hemoglobin is 9.8 g/dL. One doctor has advised taking two more drips (500 ml with three Venofer injections each) while another doctor has advised us to go for blood transfusion immediately. Kindly advice what should be done. Her age is 28 years and it is the first pregnancy. Other than this, there are no complications. Medicines being used are one tablet daily each of Intig D, Iron One, Mecobel and Folic acid.

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Hemoglobin is 9.8 g/dL. That is less for the third trimester. But, this is the corrected one, previously it was much lower.

In delivery, there is a chance of bleeding, changes in clotting factors and hormonal changes at delivery which can cause more bleeding, difficult or complicated delivery or labor also need normal hemoglobin level.

It depends on different doctors how they treat the patient according to her history, blood reports, sensitivity to iron, etc.

If she remains comfortable with Venofer and does not get sensitivity, vomitings or any other side effects, then it is better to have that as there is less chances of immune reaction as that of blood from another person.

Continue to take iron-filled diet like carrot, apples, etc.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Can I travel by air during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor,I had ectopic pregnancy last year and now am 11 weeks pregnant (normal). Can I travel through flight for more than 20 hours? I have thyroid. Right now my thyroid level is bit higher. I am on medication for thyroid.  Read Full »

Ectopic Pregnancy

Article Overview: In an ectopic pregnancy, the fertilized egg gets attached anywhere outside the uterus. Ectopic pregnancies are very common and occur in about 1 in every 50 pregnancies. It is a medical emergency and if left untreated, can also be fatal. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

What is an Ectopic Pregnancy? Fertilization of the ovum by sperm takes place in the fallopian tubes. After fertilization, the fertilized egg travels through the fallopian tube to the uterus. Normally, this embryo gets attached to the wall of the uterus and develops. In an ectopic pregnancy, the fer...  Read Article

Is it safe to travel with placenta previa?

Query: Hi doctor, Last week, on my second scan (20 week pregnancy), I was diagnosed with the low-lying placenta. I did not have any bleeding or pain so far. I am going for my holiday in five days, and I am wondering if I can fly. Is it safe?  Read Full »