Q. I am having low libido after taking medications for OCD. Kindly advise.

Dr. Ruhi Satija

I had a bad complaints of OCD 7 years ago, then I met with a Psychiatrist, he advised me Clonazepam 0.5 at night alongwith Escitalopram 10 mg in the morning. I felt a little comfort. But for getting more effectiveness I increased myself the dose of Clonazepam upto 2 mg for anxiety, panic attacks, etc. Now I am quite well using the above-mentioned medicines and I do not miss my dose (Escitalopam 10 and at night 2 mg Clonazepam). Now I am facing serious problems of sexual erection due to which my marriage life is disturbing because my libido is too much low. It is requested to kindly help me or advise me in the matter.

Dr. Ruhi Satija

Psychiatry
#

I am sorry to hear about your situation. I can imagine how hard it must be for you. I would put forward a few things you need to consider right now. First of all, Clonazepam at a dose of 2 mg if used for long duration can be addictive. This medication should be used only for initial few weeks or months to stabilize the anxiety symptoms.

Escitalopram unfortunately can cause sexual side effects, what you can do is, if medication is working for you, ask your doctor to add something for sexual side effects or you can ask for changing the medication. Please do not worry as this is a common side-effect and only stays till the medication is going on and it gets normal after a few days of stopping the medication.

Please do not stop medications suddenly, you need to taper them off and also take an alternative medicine otherwise your OCD symptoms can come back. You can start therapy. Cognitive behavioral therapy will help you with OCD symptoms and this will help you getting off of medications soon.

| 

Can my OCD get cured with lower dose of medicine?

Query: Hi doctor, I have brain lesion in the left temporal lobe size 0.9 mm as found in brain MRI. I had seizure twice two years ago. I am also suffering from OCD. Fluoxetine 40 mg has been very effective in treating OCD, but caused memory problem, speech problem and lack of concentration. When can I lower...  Read Full »

Suffering from OCD. Please help me if I can take Prozak and what will be the dosage?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) since I was a child, and I did not know that I have this type of sickness until I read about it on internet. And now I am 27 years old. I need to ask you whether I can take a medicine by myself (Prozak or alternative). My symptoms...  Read Full »

Please suggest a medicine, which can cure erection problems and low libido.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 33 year old male, who has schizophrenia and depression from the last 12 years. My current problem is low libido and erection-related issues. I do not wish to take any medicine like Viagra or other similar medicines. Please suggest a medicine which can cure my problem. I also need...  Read Full »