Q. Suffering from OCD. Please help me if I can take Prozak and what will be the dosage?

This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 16, 2014 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

I am suffering from OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) since I was a child, and I did not know that I have this type of sickness until I read about it on internet. And now I am 27 years old. I need to ask you whether I can take a medicine by myself (Prozak or alternative).

My symptoms are that I keep repeating certain words and sentences in my mind all the time from morning till evening or some pictures in my mind. And I cannot stop this thing at all. I am really tired of it.

Please help me if I can take Prozak and what will be the dosage. Also is there anything I need to know before planning to stop the medicine?

#

Thanks for posting a query at icliniq.

First of all I would like to inform you that OCD like symptoms occur in various disorders other than OCD itself. And the management of different disorders varies according to etiology.

Regarding your question about self treatment, I would suggest against it, as every drug is associated with one or another kind of side effect and they can be better managed only in expert hands.

Besides this which drug is suitable for you can be decided by a psychiatrist or other trained mental health professional.

Most of the patients do not respond completely to only medication in case of OCD, as they also require some form of psychotherapy treatment.

What I suggest at this moment is, first take an online psychotherapy consultation that will evaluate you in detail to decide further course of action.

|