Q. Suffering from OCD. Please help me if I can take Prozak and what will be the dosage?

Published on Oct 16, 2014 and last reviewed on: Dec 05, 2018

I am suffering from OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) since I was a child, and I did not know that I have this type of sickness until I read about it on internet. And now I am 27 years old. I need to ask you whether I can take a medicine by myself (Prozak or alternative).

My symptoms are that I keep repeating certain words and sentences in my mind all the time from morning till evening or some pictures in my mind. And I cannot stop this thing at all. I am really tired of it.

Please help me if I can take Prozak and what will be the dosage. Also is there anything I need to know before planning to stop the medicine?

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

Thanks for posting a query at icliniq.

First of all I would like to inform you that OCD like symptoms occur in various disorders other than OCD itself. And the management of different disorders varies according to etiology.

Regarding your question about self treatment, I would suggest against it, as every drug is associated with one or another kind of side effect and they can be better managed only in expert hands.

Besides this which drug is suitable for you can be decided by a psychiatrist or other trained mental health professional.

Most of the patients do not respond completely to only medication in case of OCD, as they also require some form of psychotherapy treatment.

What I suggest at this moment is, first take an online psychotherapy consultation that will evaluate you in detail to decide further course of action.

Learn More About GAD: What Is Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Article Overview: People with GAD worry excessively and persistently throughout the course of the day. They are constantly anticipating the worst about family, health, finance, and future. Read on to find out how you can prevent it. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S

Generalized anxiety disorder is a mental illness where the persons have anxiety not just to particular situations but nearly every activity of the day. Symptoms Excessive worrying. Trouble falling and staying asleep. Muscle tension. Constant negative thoughts. Inability to relax or enjoy me-...  Read Article

Bedwetting Homeopathy Treatment

Article Overview: Bedwetting can be cured naturally with homeopathy without disturbing the endocrine system. The treatment aims at reducing anxiety in the child which is the root cause of bedwetting. Read Article

Dr. Potnuru Srinivaasa Sudhakar
Homeopathic Physician

When Does Bedwetting Become a Problem? Bedwetting is common before the age of 7 years and is not a major concern as, before the age of 7, the child does not have control over the bladder. But, if bedwetting continues after the age of 7, it is considered a problem. In that case, parents are advised ...  Read Article