Q. Why is my eight year old son's platelet count constantly low?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 07, 2021

My 8 year old son was diagnosed with a possible bone marrow failure during monitoring for low platelets when he was three years old. His biopsy showed areas of 20 % cellularity. Last year his counts were WBC 13.8, RBC 4.83, hemoglobin 13.5 g/dL, hematocrit 39.3, MCV 81.3, MCH 27.9, MCHC 34.2, RDW 13.5, platelet count 311, and MPV 8.5. And this year his counts are WBC 9.3, RBC 4.91, hemoglobin 13.4 g/dL, hematocrit 39.4, MCV 80.2, MCH 27.3, MCHC 34.1, RDW 13.5, platelet count 326, and MPV 8.3. We are waiting and watching. Should we see an oncologist again?

#

• You had mentioned the history of bone marrow failure at three years of age, but the cause and workup done at that time are not mentioned here.
  • Temporary viral infection like parvovirus can lead to temporary bone marrow suppression.
  • In a child, if platelet count remains low for a long time, then ITP (idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura) should be ruled out by bone marrow aspiration.
  • As far as this latest CBC (complete blood count) report is concerned, it does not look abnormal. So, if any symptoms are present and if CBC worsens, then you should consult your doctor.

Revert with more information to a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|