Q. My WBC level is 3. 6. Is it a sort of cancer?

Dr. Kamal Kant Sahu

I am inquiring about a concern I have about my CBC results. I have shown a WBC of 3.9 for almost two years, and recently had a followup CBC and it showed 3.6.

I have felt like I have been fighting off a head cold and particularly stressed with the current virus situation. Do you think this kind of count is of any cancer? Of course, I get on google and got worried about things like leukemia or some sort of illness that could compromise my immune system with the current virus going on.

The other levels are below:

RBC: 4.5

Neutrophils: 56%

Lymphocytes: 31%

Monocytes: 11.4%

Eosinophils: .3%

Basophils: .8%

Platelet count: 292.

#

First of all, I wish you very safe health during this Covid-19 crisis.

Coming to your question, I reviewed your records. And I am glad that you came up with your concerns. I will be happy to answer that based on my experience.

One thing which I can say confidently is that you do not have cancer. So good to hear those four words. Yes, that is not the way cancer presents and not specifically at your young age.

Your lymphocyte count and neutrophil counts are good and there are no abnormal cells as well.

With regard to the current Coronavirus, I agree that we all should be vigilant. Your lymphocyte count and platelet are good and hence blood work-wise you need not worry. But I am sure you must be aware of when to get Covid-19 testing based on the symptoms.

Rest assured you do not have cancer, just get lab check yearly.

Do you have any insight as to why my WBC would be that low? Would that be an indicator of a compromised immune system?

#

Not really, different individuals have different thresholds for blood counts, etc.

Just like a few people can work by sleeping five hours and others need eight hours, but still both function properly for their body requirement, this might not be the best example but the point which I wish to make is that we have a range for every value and yours fall into the low normal range. But the major fighting cells are neutrophils which if you see, they are in the normal range.

Also, these numbers will vary with time as body dynamics keeps changing. Somedays just a stress may make the numbers look high, that is how sensitive these numbers are. That is the reason that we have to see the whole picture including the clinical features, the patient's profile everything.

I am very confident at this moment declaring you fit. Stay home, stay safe.

|