Q. Could CT scan miss appendicitis?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 17, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 15, 2019

I was in an emergency last night because of 48 hours of pain that moved to my right lower abdomen. Also, I am not eating, and I have severe diarrhea if I do. They said my white blood cells were a bit elevated. The CT scan without contrast did not show an inflamed appendix. Now it is the next day, and the pain is still there along with a burning kind of feel. What could be the problem? Can a CT scan miss appendicitis?

#

• CT scan could not miss a case of appendicitis unless the medical personnel who viewed the CT scan were not qualified enough for correct interpretation of the scan.
  • Crohn's disease if accompanied by severe diarrhea and no fever.
  • Abdominal aortic aneurysm, but should have appeared in CT scan. Please send me a picture of the CT scan to confirm the diagnosis.

Revert with the photo to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Is the CT 100% accurate? When should I seek medical care if this continues?

#

• Yes, CT scan is very accurate for diagnosis of appendicitis.
  • You should seek medical care if there is a fever of above 101 degrees, stool that contains blood or mucus, blood in urine, vomiting of blood, pain spreading to back or groin, painful urination or persistent nausea and vomiting.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|