Q. What is your advice for my back injury?

Dr. Rajyaguru
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 03, 2021

A week ago, I fell on my back while climbing a ladder from 4 meters height. I visited the doctor the next day and he told me to do an x-ray and MRI of the spine. The report says marrow edema and mild compression of the L2 vertebral body adjacent and upper plate region and marrow edema in the L1 vertebral body. The doctor has suggested to wear Taylor's brace and advised to consult a neurosurgeon for advice on vertebroplasty. What is your advice for the same?

#

I understand your problem well.

• The decision of whether to undergo kyphoplasty or not is based on a few things. It is a must in case of severe wedge compression fracture. But, yours is not very severe and actual wedging is approximately 25% of total height.
  • The next criteria is your symptom. Did you feel relieved after brace and medicines? If it did not, then kyphoplasty is recommended.
  • If your pain is relieved and you are comfortable with Taylor's brace, then please carry on with the same for six weeks. Avoid straining of any kind.
  • If you have persistent pain, discomfort and not responding to brace, medicines and rest, then you should undergo kyphoplasty as soon as possible.

For further information consult a neuro surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neuro-surgeon

What is the expected time of recovery with the use of Taylor's brace? Do I require any physiotherapy now?

#

• No, physiotherapy is not required. The idea here is to move your bone minimum and so that it heals.
  • The maximum time required for healing is six weeks with Taylor's brace.

|