Q. I inhaled enamel paint residual fumes. How will the health be affected?

Answered by
Dr. Arul Amuthan
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on Dec 24, 2018

Hello doctor,

I (66 years, 145 lbs) am using a can of enamel paint in my basement. Total of 1 to 2 minutes. Had a mask on then took it off while I cleaned up 5 to 10 inhaling residual fumes. However, the mask was old. I know I should not have done it inside. Can this cause any health issues? Ran an air cleaner that helped take care of the smell. Now, most importantly my 15 months old granddaughter came to stay four days later. She never went to the basement. We try to keep the basement door closed. Could she have any health issues near or long term? It is really worrying me.

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Ayurveda Specialist Naturopathy Pharmacology Siddha Medicine Toxicology
#

Hi,

Welcome to icliniq.com.

The paints usually have toxic chemicals, which on long-term continuous inhalation (more than one month) definitely can accumulate sufficiently in lung and body, to produce the toxic effect. This can happen for the painting professionals without proper precautions.

In your case, it is the single time (few hours) exposure. This can produce local irritation on eyes, nose, lungs, and skin. The symptoms are skin itching, burning sensation of eyes, headache, increased secretions from eyes and nose, cough, sometimes wheezing in susceptible cases. There are no possibilities for any other bad effects. That too these effects usually start within 30 minutes to one hour of exposure and last only for one day. Once we breath normal air, there is proper ventilation in the lungs, these paint chemicals from lungs would be washed out. After one day, you will be safe and can forget about this.

My suggestion is to open windows and run exhauster fans to expel the smell (indicates the chemicals) of paint from the room. More ventilation, more washout. Three days it may take to completely remove the smell from the room. After that, you can allow the kid in the room. If the paint smell is there, do not allow the child to smell it. It will produce the above mentioned bad effects for her also. In case, if the kid is exposed into the room before complete washing out, no issues. Bring the child out, wash the face, eyes and nose with water. Keep baby in an open air space for 30 minutes. In a few new fresh breathing, the toxic chemicals from the lung get washed away. Usually, after painting, we need to pass new air to wash out the chemicals in the air. For a few days. If not, some other when we enter the room, we will be the victim.

Thank you doctor,

For me doing the painting, is there any issue with toxins in the brain? Also, for my granddaughter (15 months old)? She came to the house four days after the painting and never went down into the basement. Just want to know for sure if she could be affected by any long-term issues?

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Ayurveda Specialist Naturopathy Pharmacology Siddha Medicine Toxicology
#

Hi,

Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Short-term exposure (in your case, painting for short period, not as a profession) will never affect your brain. Only in long-term exposure in painting professionals without proper precautions, toxins accumulate and affect the brain. You are absolutely safe. Your grand-daughter is also safe as per your question. Do not allow her in the basement. Make the basement more ventilated. Once the painting smell has vanished, allow her to go there. So, right now no problem for you and your granddaughter.

Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers


Plastic Toxicity

Article Overview: Most of the plastic produced today are for food packaging, plastic bags, and containers, which are single-use and are discarded immediately. This single-use plastic is the major contributor to plastic pollution. Read Article


Dr. K Sneha
General Medicine Physician

Plastic Toxicity We live in an age where plastic is all around us. Everything from food and beverage containers, cosmetics containers, pens, interiors of cars, toys, bags, shoes, adhesives, lubricants, medical devices, etc., all contain plastic in some form. As they are not expensive and durable, p...  Read Article

Why has the automatic blinking stopped in my child?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 16 years old. He is myopic with the approximate power in left eye being -5.5 spherical and cylindrical - 0.5, right eye being -6 spherical and cylindrical - 0.75. Since the last few days (4 to 5 days) he is facing a problem in his eyes. He feels his automatic blinking has st...  Read Full >>


Dr. Rahul Vaswani
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, we have to take care of itching and watering, and for that, you have to start Moxifloxacin eye drop four times a day for five days and Refresh Liquigel eye drop (Carboxymethylcellulose sodium) six to eight times a day. It can be continued for a long time a...  Read Full

Are bacterial conjunctivitis and blepharitis related?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with blepharitis. I also have seborrhoeic dermatitis (perhaps rosacea as well), and my condition has improved greatly. Recently, I got very bad allergy symptoms, my eyes and nose became extremely itchy, causing me to sneeze a lot. This morning when I woke up, I had trou...  Read Full >>


Dr. Anand
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attached pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, it is nothing but common bacterial conjunctivitis. Since you have blepharitis, you are more likely to get conjunctivitis. Also, blepharitis, in turn, is related to seborrh...  Read Full

Popular

Popular

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Toxicologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.

Fee:  

 


Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.