Q. Why has the automatic blinking stopped in my child?

Answered by Dr. Rahul Vaswani and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Blinking or Moxifloxacin? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

My son is 16 years old. He is myopic with the approximate power in left eye being -5.5 spherical and cylindrical - 0.5, right eye being -6 spherical and cylindrical - 0.75. Since the last few days (4 to 5 days) he is facing a problem in his eyes. He feels his automatic blinking has stopped and has to blink consciously. He has also been complaining of eye irritation, itching and watering in the eye which happens as he is not blinking. He is reminded of blinking when the itching or watering starts. He is disturbed because of this and not able to concentrate on his studies. What has caused this reduced or no blinking? It is really worrying.