Q. Does the absence of the white half moon on nails indicate a thyroid problem?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 07, 2021

I do not have a white half moon on my nails. Is there any thyroid issue? If yes, please suggest some treatment.

#

• The absence of the white half moon also called as lunula, is not uncommon and may be a normal variant, and there is no need to worry about it. I guess rest of your nail is normal.
  • However, it can be associated with low hemoglobin and inadequate diet. Treatment is not needed for this condition, but underlying condition needs to be treated.
  • There is no direct relation with thyroid disease, but you can get yourself tested if you are having symptoms like lethargy, constipation, weight gain, etc. You should also get your hemoglobin tested.
  • Focus on a balanced diet with green leafy vegetables, fruits, etc. Hope this helps you, and get back if you have any doubts.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thank you for your suggestion. I have the problem of a tight stomach and hair loss, and there is no weight gain. Please give me suggestions about the diet.

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com

• Regarding tight stomach, it is most probably an acidity or gastritis. Do you also have upper abdominal pain, nausea, bloating, burping, increase in pain on food, sour water feeling in throat, or chest burning? These are the other symptoms that may be associated.
  • Try the following. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent.
  1. You should avoid fatty, oily, and spicy food.
  2. Go for a walk after having food, instead of taking rest.
  3. Have multiple small meals, instead of heavy meals.
  4. Have regular sleep habits, and avoid stress.
  5. Eat a lot of green leafy vegetable and fruits.
  6. Avoid smoking and alcohol if any.
  7. You can try taking tablet Pan DSR (combination of Domperidone and Pantoprazole) 40 mg or Esomeprazole and Domperidone combination, before breakfast, once a day for two weeks.
  8. You can also add syrup Sucral O (combination of Sucralfate and Oxetacaine) or Gelusil, two teaspoons, three times a day for a week.
  9. For immediate pain relief, you can have antispasmodic like tablet Dicyclomine 20 or Hyoscyamine 10 mg, whenever needed.
  • Hair loss could be due to low hemoglobin, thyroid problems, and also hormonal if it is a male type of baldness. So, get the above investigations done. You can visit your dermatologist for hair loss.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|