Q. Would fundoplication help gastritis?

Answered by
Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 15, 2020

Hello doctor,

I have been struggling with pressure under my ribs and tightness in my chest for 5 years. It is on and off, but mostly it gives me a hard time to come through. I feel hard to belch often. I have taken Esomeprazole and Nexium to keep the reflux down, but the tightness and other awful symptoms are still there. I have been diagnosed with nonerosive esophagitis and some doctors think that it might be erosive as well. One of the hospitals here has offered me a fundoplication for my problem. Also, I was informed that could give me 80% chances to be free of symptoms. I have been diagnosed with hiatus hernia. Also, this gives me anxiety and heart palpitations. Sometimes, I am waking up at night with a feeling of heart attack. I have checked my heart; and everything is healthy.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have carefully worked through your health query and can well understand your issues.

  • Yes, it seems to be due to GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), simply the acid reflux. It has caused damage to the esophagus and other parts of the body too.
  • Hiatal hernia is one of the major causes behind GERD. To get rid of the issues, it is mandatory to get the hernia corrected. Without hernia correction, you will get partial or the least benefits as the mother of all issues here is the GERD.
  • We have to deal with every aspect related to GERD. Take care.

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thank you doctor,

Do you agree that fundoplication would be a great option for me? Is that a safe surgery?



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

I appreciate your follow up query and can understand your serious health issues and concerns.

  • It is always better to have a second opinion before making an important decision regarding serious health issues. You are not the one having this issue.
  • GERD has affected more than 20% the population. For severe GERD, laparoscopic Nissen fundoplication is considered as the best available surgical approach.
  • It has got promising results and patients have got considerable improvements after the procedure.
  • I recommend you to follow the instructions of your physicians for better insight and outcome. Pray for the best of times ahead.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Can severe acid reflux turn my teeth translucent, and cause gums to recede?

Query: Hi doctor, Lately, I noticed that my teeth are not the best looking. I had acid reflux. I looked up a lot of stuff about acid in the mouth, and looking at my teeth I think this is what is happening. My teeth started turning translucent two weeks ago. When I looked it up, it said that it could occur...  Read Full »

Can antral gastritis cause hunger?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with antral gastritis, lots of acid in stomach and reflux. Problems started after I took some medicines. Since then I am always hungry. I eat more than before the problem started, but still I feel hungry. I am also suffering from excessive hair loss. Why am I always hu...  Read Full »

It feels like something is stuck in my throat. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 23 year old male who has been experiencing some symptoms related to my voice and throat. For the past few months, my voice has not been as deep as it has always been. If I try to lower it to how it was before, it takes a lot of effort and still does not sound right. I am constantly...  Read Full »

Also Read

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.