Q. Would fundoplication help gastritis?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

I have been struggling with pressure under my ribs and tightness in my chest for 5 years. It is on and off, but mostly it gives me a hard time to come through. I feel hard to belch often. I have taken Esomeprazole and Nexium to keep the reflux down, but the tightness and other awful symptoms are still there. I have been diagnosed with nonerosive esophagitis and some doctors think that it might be erosive as well. One of the hospitals here has offered me a fundoplication for my problem. Also, I was informed that could give me 80% chances to be free of symptoms. I have been diagnosed with hiatus hernia. Also, this gives me anxiety and heart palpitations. Sometimes, I am waking up at night with a feeling of heart attack. I have checked my heart; and everything is healthy.

Do you have a question on Gerd or Gastritis?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

MBBS
Cardiology Critical Care Physician General Medicine Internal Medicine

I have carefully worked through your health query and can well understand your issues.

• Yes, it seems to be due to GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), simply the acid reflux. It has caused damage to the esophagus and other parts of the body too.
  • Hiatal hernia is one of the major causes behind GERD. To get rid of the issues, it is mandatory to get the hernia corrected. Without hernia correction, you will get partial or the least benefits as the mother of all issues here is the GERD.
  • We have to deal with every aspect related to GERD. Take care.

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Do you agree that fundoplication would be a great option for me? Is that a safe surgery?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

MBBS

I appreciate your follow up query and can understand your serious health issues and concerns.

• It is always better to have a second opinion before making an important decision regarding serious health issues. You are not the one having this issue.
  • GERD has affected more than 20% the population. For severe GERD, laparoscopic Nissen fundoplication is considered as the best available surgical approach.
  • It has got promising results and patients have got considerable improvements after the procedure.
  • I recommend you to follow the instructions of your physicians for better insight and outcome. Pray for the best of times ahead.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Can severe acid reflux turn my teeth translucent, and cause gums to recede?
Query: Hi doctor, Lately, I noticed that my teeth are not the best looking. I had acid reflux. I looked up a lot of stuff about acid in the mouth, and looking at my teeth I think this is what is happening. My teeth started turning translucent two weeks ago. When I looked it up, it said that it could occur...  Read Full »
Dr. Honey Arora
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms that you have explained are right. If you have acid reflux problem and in your case, it looks like there is too much of acid refluxing in your mouth from the stomach. This acid can erode your teeth making the enamel thin due to loss of minerals. I have common...  Read Full »

Can antral gastritis cause hunger?
Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with antral gastritis, lots of acid in stomach and reflux. Problems started after I took some medicines. Since then I am always hungry. I eat more than before the problem started, but still I feel hungry. I am also suffering from excessive hair loss. Why am I always hu...  Read Full »
Dr. Rajesh Kumar Padhan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. For antral gastritis take tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg once daily before food for a month. It will control acidity and reflux. Excessive hunger is good for you as your weight is normal and it is also good for stomach. Just rule out diabetes by doing fasting blo...  Read Full »

I feel like something stuck in throat. How to get rid of this?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 23 year old male who has been experiencing some symptoms related to my voice and throat. For the past few months, my voice has not been as deep as it has always been. If I try to lower it to how it was before, it takes a lot of effort and still does not sound right. I am constantly...  Read Full »
Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) does cause this something stuck in throat feeling, but more importantly you have stress. Stress does cause GERD and such change in voice which you have. The inability to speak as before is due to stress and this in turn is increas...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now