Q. Would fundoplication help gastritis?

Dr. Muhammad Majid Hanif
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 15, 2020

I have been struggling with pressure under my ribs and tightness in my chest for 5 years. It is on and off, but mostly it gives me a hard time to come through. I feel hard to belch often. I have taken Esomeprazole and Nexium to keep the reflux down, but the tightness and other awful symptoms are still there. I have been diagnosed with nonerosive esophagitis and some doctors think that it might be erosive as well. One of the hospitals here has offered me a fundoplication for my problem. Also, I was informed that could give me 80% chances to be free of symptoms. I have been diagnosed with hiatus hernia. Also, this gives me anxiety and heart palpitations. Sometimes, I am waking up at night with a feeling of heart attack. I have checked my heart; and everything is healthy.

#

I have carefully worked through your health query and can well understand your issues.

• Yes, it seems to be due to GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), simply the acid reflux. It has caused damage to the esophagus and other parts of the body too.
  • Hiatal hernia is one of the major causes behind GERD. To get rid of the issues, it is mandatory to get the hernia corrected. Without hernia correction, you will get partial or the least benefits as the mother of all issues here is the GERD.
  • We have to deal with every aspect related to GERD. Take care.

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Do you agree that fundoplication would be a great option for me? Is that a safe surgery?

#

I appreciate your follow up query and can understand your serious health issues and concerns.

• It is always better to have a second opinion before making an important decision regarding serious health issues. You are not the one having this issue.
  • GERD has affected more than 20% the population. For severe GERD, laparoscopic Nissen fundoplication is considered as the best available surgical approach.
  • It has got promising results and patients have got considerable improvements after the procedure.
  • I recommend you to follow the instructions of your physicians for better insight and outcome. Pray for the best of times ahead.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|