Q. What is macular degeneration?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Published on Mar 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 68 years old. I have just been diagnosed with macular degeneration. The doctor basically stated that there was nothing that could be done as this was just a part of aging. He did suggest to eat more green leafy vegetables. When I suggested Kale and dark leaf vegetable powder, he laughed and called me a dreamer. I simply cannot believe that there is anything else I can do. I am healthy with low blood pressure and a good weight. I would appreciate your medical opinion. Thank you.

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

As you stated that you have been diagnosed with macular degeneration that is ARMD (age-related macular degeneration). Now, let us know what ARMD is.

• Macula is most sensitive part of retina (back portion of eye) and it must be healthy to have clear vision. But, due to many factors (age in your case) it sometime degenerates.
  • In your case, due to age, drusens gets accumulated at or near macula which can damage the macula leading to low vision.
  • ARMD cannot blind you. The only problem that you will face is decreased central vision which cannot be corrected by glasses.
  • There is no treatment for ARMD but as per the research it is recommended to increase micronutrients like zinc, selenium, etc., to your diet which slows down the process of macular damage.
  • Be careful about your vision. Keep visiting your doctor. If you ever feel that your vision has suddenly dropped, consult your ophthalmologist immediately as sometimes blood vessels starts forming at macula leading to bleeding there which require injections in eye.
  • At this moment if you feel difficulty in reading or recognizing faces, you can use low vision aids like magnifiers for reading task and telescopes for distance tasks.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

I am told surgery will not help my macular hole. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have Best's disease and am currently undergoing injections in my left eye and it is improving. I have now been told that my right eye has a full blown macular hole but surgery may not help. Why not?  Read Full »