Q. From the reports, can you tell me if I have ARMD or CSR?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 09, 2021

I am 44 years old. 15 days ago, my left eye vision started getting distorted. I have no pain, and I never had any eye problem nor did anyone in my family. I went to the doctor, and the doctor did not give me any diagnosis so far. After a few scans, first one was taken 10 days ago and the last one today, he could not decide between wet macular degeneration, as he spotted a small blood spot in the center of the macula, and central serous retinopathy. He suggested the treatment with injection. I am very scared and very frustrated as I do not have a diagnosis yet. Can you please help me with a second opinion? Thank you so much.

#

• It is very difficult to comment without examining your retina or your scans. As you mentioned there was blood at the fovea, this is suggestive of wet ARMD (age-related macular degeneration) rather than CSR (central serous retinopathy).
  • Moreover, injection is advised for ARMD and not for CSR. Having said that, it is a provisional diagnosis. Kindly share your scan reports, so that I can guide you better.

Revert with more information to an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Thank you for your answer. Here are the scans that I have. The first one is of yesterday, the second and the third one were taken 10 days ago.

#

I reviewed your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) with great patience.

• I agree with your treating ophthalmologist that this is indeed a confusing clinical situation. I discussed your reports and clinical symptoms with my retina colleagues also, and we all had the following conclusion.
  • To us, all though there was a dilemma between wet ARMD and CSR, the diagnosis tilted towards wet ARMD because of the following reason:
  1. The presence of blood drop at fovea is very significant, as I discussed earlier also.
  2. OCT (optical coherence tomography) findings are again very confusing and do not pin point towards a particular diagnosis.
  • FFA (fundus fluorescein angiography) would have been useful, but you shared only one frame of FFA. I would request you to share all frames of FFA as a single frame does not give clear information. We will review the reports and will guide you through.

For further queries consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|