Q. From the reports, can you tell me if I have ARMD or CSR?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Published on Jul 02, 2017

I am 44 years old. 15 days ago, my left eye vision started getting distorted. I have no pain, and I never had any eye problem nor did anyone in my family. I went to the doctor, and the doctor did not give me any diagnosis so far. After a few scans, first one was taken 10 days ago and the last one today, he could not decide between wet macular degeneration, as he spotted a small blood spot in the center of the macula, and central serous retinopathy. He suggested the treatment with injection. I am very scared and very frustrated as I do not have a diagnosis yet. Can you please help me with a second opinion? Thank you so much.

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• It is very difficult to comment without examining your retina or your scans. As you mentioned there was blood at the fovea, this is suggestive of wet ARMD (age-related macular degeneration) rather than CSR (central serous retinopathy).
  • Moreover, injection is advised for ARMD and not for CSR. Having said that, it is a provisional diagnosis. Kindly share your scan reports, so that I can guide you better.

Revert with more information to an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Thank you for your answer. Here are the scans that I have. The first one is of yesterday, the second and the third one were taken 10 days ago.

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

I reviewed your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) with great patience.

• I agree with your treating ophthalmologist that this is indeed a confusing clinical situation. I discussed your reports and clinical symptoms with my retina colleagues also, and we all had the following conclusion.
  • To us, all though there was a dilemma between wet ARMD and CSR, the diagnosis tilted towards wet ARMD because of the following reason:
  1. The presence of blood drop at fovea is very significant, as I discussed earlier also.
  2. OCT (optical coherence tomography) findings are again very confusing and do not pin point towards a particular diagnosis.
  • FFA (fundus fluorescein angiography) would have been useful, but you shared only one frame of FFA. I would request you to share all frames of FFA as a single frame does not give clear information. We will review the reports and will guide you through.

For further queries consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

I have floaters. Should I worry about my vision?

Query: Hi doctor, I have eye floaters. There is no family history of glaucoma. I do not smoke or drink and also not eating non-vegetarian foods at present. My eye pressure in both the eyes are 18 to 20 mmHg. My floater eight years ago after severe eye infection from welding light radiation. There is no OVD...  Read Full »

Why is my vision not clear even after cataract surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my first cataract surgery in the right eye four years back. Now again this year, I just had cataract surgery in the left eye. Just today, after three days of my second cataract surgery in the left eye, the vision in my right eye is not clear. When I am seeing contact names on my...  Read Full »