Malabsorption Syndrome

How to diagnose stomach problems?

Query: Hi doctor, Yesterday, I had roti with spinach, which is home made. Today morning, I experienced a stomach bout, but not watery. Should I take a combination of antibiotics Ridol and Ulticept 500 mg along with Metrogyl and Eldoper? I am still feeling uneasy. Please guide me on this. Every 20 days, I...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I was trying to understand your blood work. Is your TSH 14 and HbA1c 7%? The reason why I am concerned about these tests is because hyperthyroidism can cause recurrent diarrhea and if your HbA1c (diabetes) number is high it can also cause diarrhea. You can use the Rido...  Read Full »

Why am I not able to gain weight?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 21 years old and my height is 5'7" and my weight is 57kg. My problem is related to my reduced body growth and development. I regularly take diet 3-4 times a day and drink about 3 litres of water a day. Besides this, I have also taken health supplements like horlicks/enduramass in...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are unable to gain weight, you should be evaluated for organic causes behind it. It can however be just constitutional. But it is not uncommon to have some organic causes behind this problem. If there is any organic cause, it should be evaluated. If you have an...  Read Full »

Can appendicitis cause malabsorption?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from malabsorption. All my tests are normal. But, my radiology result reported appendicitis. Can appendicitis cause malabsorption?  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Appendicitis cannot be the cause for malabsorption. Malabsorption by definition means that your intestine is not able to absorb nutrients because of which you are not able to gain weight even after eating food normally; your serum albumin is low and passing l...  Read Full »

Will antibiotics help to improve IBS?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother is now 55 years and has been suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) for over a year. Her condition was not so bad before. She was diagnosed with intestinal disease and was given some antibiotics like Flagyl or Metronidazole. After she took those pills for a month, she h...  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I can understand your concern. As you told that your mother had IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), I want to tell you that antibiotics are not the treatment for IBS. Probiotics ca...  Read Full »

What can cause the stool to float and change color?

Query: Hello doctor, About 18 months ago, my stomach distended, and my stool turned from brown to light brown and eventually yellow. After that, I started to lose weight at a rapid rate, 40 lbs in 15 months. I was given multiple blood tests, an upper endoscopy, and abdominal ultrasounds. The only thing of...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The cause of your weight loss could be maldigestion, malabsorption or systemic illness. Improper digestion occurs due to a lack of pancreatic enzymes secretion. Malabsorption occurs due to intestinal issues, for example, Celiac disease, infection or inflammation of t...  Read Full »

How can I attain appropriate height and weight for my age?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 20 years old. My weight is 53 kg and height is 167 cm. I look small for my age. There is no appropriate growth. Can you suggest any medication or supplement for this?  Read Full »

Dr. Vidhi Hareshbhai Talati

Physiotherapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history and I would like to suggest you some natural way to increase your body growth. There are many factors that affect the body height and weight such as gender, age, genetics, lifestyle, diet, etc. If there is no weight gain despite eating ...  Read Full »

Do my symptoms suggest celiac disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I have always had weird symptoms and I think I have celiac disease. I also think that the combination of all my symptoms may mean something. I was tested once for thyroid problems and once for Lyme disease because I had a big, dangerous tick-bite rash. I am 19 years old and according t...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for sharing your detailed history with us. There is a very strong possibility that you have malabsorption syndrome. There are various types of malabsorption syndromes and celiac disease is one of them. You have signs of multiple essential nutrient d...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for continuous mucus and gas formation with a bad smell?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a continuous mucus and gas formation with the bad smell like rotten fish. I also have hemorrhoid.  Read Full »

Dr. Smit Uttam Janrao

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I think you should provide the history in detail so that I can get enough data for diagnosis. Since how many days you are having this problem and do stools stir over water after toilet and difficult to flush? Do you have bleeding piles? For more information consult ...  Read Full »