Q. Can appendicitis cause malabsorption?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 22, 2019

I am suffering from malabsorption. All my tests are normal. But, my radiology result reported appendicitis. Can appendicitis cause malabsorption?

#

• Appendicitis cannot be the cause for malabsorption.
  • Malabsorption by definition means that your intestine is not able to absorb nutrients because of which you are not able to gain weight even after eating food normally; your serum albumin is low and passing large bulky stools or passing oil like drops in stools.
  • When any of these are present, then we do an evaluation for malabsorption.
  • Kindly update me your further details like age, BMI (body mass index), blood reports and all investigations you have done.
  • If appendicitis is acute with associated abdomen pain and fever, then you need to get operated for that.
  • Kindly send sample for HPE (histopathological examination), so that we may find a clue for malabsorption if present.
  • But, only appendicitis will not be a cause for malabsorption.

Revert back with the asked details to an internal medicine physician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|