Q. I have mandibular tori. How to get a painless x-ray?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Feb 25, 2021

I have relatively large mandibular tori, which are nearly touching. They have always been rather sensitive, like when I am eating chips, a sharp piece pokes them. I just went to the dentist and got those new digital bitewing x-rays, which hurt my tori as there is less room in my mouth. I have a large dark red bruise along my lingual frenulum and redness or soreness on both tori. Neither the x-ray technician nor the dentist seemed to care that I was in pain. I was told that tori are regular and that they did that kind of x-ray for all patients. So, my question for you is this what I am supposed to deal with for the rest of my life when I go to the dentist? Are there dentists who spare their tori patients from having to go through this? I am perfectly happy to get the old fashioned type of x-rays.

#

• Sorry to hear that, but you can avoid x-rays if it hurts you really bad. Maybe because they wanted to see the tori in x-ray, so they would have placed film pressed to the area.
  • I can assure you it is never this painful, so hopefully next time just tell them in advance about your experience so that the other dentist will be more careful.
  • I cannot comment on their technique as I have not seen it, but I believe you can ask them not to use digital as its sensors are quite thick and rigid thus causing discomfort.
  • They should have the old plastic films, which would be much comfortable. Thank you.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|