Q. My gingiva is thickened in the lower front teeth. Is it normal?

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

On my lower gum below the roots of my front teeth, I have a pale area that looks slightly thicker than the surrounding gum line. At first, I thought it could be a mouth ulcer, but it does not taste like an ulcer and does not hurt. I noticed it a month ago, but it could have been there for longer potentially forever. Is this likely to be a normal part of my gum or something I need to consult a dentist about?

#

I went through your query and also seen the attached images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Although the images could be much clear and as you have used the flash the image is brighter than normal.

But as a specialist, I can assure you nothing to worry about and it is just a normal physiological gum thickning below both the roots of lower central incisors. Gum thickening can be due to any trauma during brusing teeth or biting any hard food.

Although, if the image would be more clearer and not cropped it would be much better. But to be frank it do not shows any signs of ulcer or any serious issue nothing to be worrird about and no treatment needed.

If it is not over-demanding, for your safety. Can I please request a clear image keeping the mouth as dry as possible by a cotton ball and reupload of image. It is not very important it is just to be sure and kindly click without flash to keep the image as normal as possible.

Also, let me know how it feels on touch. Is it hard of soft? As mandibular tori harmless boney elevations generally erupt in these areas and stays forever without noticing. This can also be a possibility.

I will be waiting for your reply. In any of the case, you have nothing to be worried about. And no treatment needed in any case.

Might be a normal gingival thickening (due to any trauma, from brushing or food). Or might be mandibular tori (bony elevation). If it is tori, the area should get blanched upon applying pressure. Gum thickning feels like a bit of roughness with no blanching.

Thank you for your reply.

I have attached a photo without the flash.

#

I went through the image (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and as commented previously, it is harmless nothing to be worried about in any case.

Just a gingival thickening (adaptive way to respond a trauma by our body) might be due to toothbrush or during chewing hard food. No blanching noted upon palpation. Or a mandibular tori, if it is hard to palpate but feels the same as normal gum tissue but elevated and gets blanched (whitish) upon palpating.

My diagnosis is anyone between these two possibilities. And mostly it is mandibular tori. Both are natural and no treatment needed and just normal physiological changes.

Mandibular tori, is a harmless bony elevation nothing to be worried about. It is normal and would not harm in any case.

No treatment needed.

|