Gingival Problems

How does the habit of pricking gums constantly affect oral health?

Query: Hello doctor, Ever since I was little I would stick sharp, pointy things between my teeth and poke and pick at my gums. It would cause pain but the pain was addictive, it is like I enjoy the pain. When I was a child I would use my fingernails to do it until my gums would bleed. I know that sounds n...  Read Full »

Dr. Beryl Fredrick

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and understand your concern. Constant tooth picking leads to gaps between teeth, gum bleeding and gum weakness. Weakness of gums and bone creates more gaps which attract food deposits. These deposits irritate the gums constantly leading...  Read Full »

Is my dental problem curable?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is 70 years old. He has some dental problem and that is filled with pus and blood. Local dentist checked it, but the treatment does not provide complete solution. It occurs again and again. Please check the picture and tell me what it is. Is it cancerous? Is it curable? Ple...  Read Full »

Dr. Johnn Kazimm

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) go, first inadequate frenum mandibular reveals inadequacy of attached gingiva. Then, two swellings can be seen in the lower region and possibly with pus. Firstly, a thorough scaling followed by deep scaling...  Read Full »

I have a small red lump on my gums which bleeds during brushing. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a small red lump on my gums. Not sure if it is an abscess or something and wants some advice. It is red and bleeds when I brush, and there is only pain when I brush.  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since how long do you have this lump? It could be an abscess, but need a clear picture of it for confirmation. Is there any decayed tooth associated with it nearby? If possible, send pictures or go to a nearby dentist.   Read Full »

I have a recurrent gingival polyp. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a gingival polyp that has been removed three times but keeps growing back. Do I have to live with this or is there a way to permanently remove this?  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through your question I can understand your concern. No, you do not have to live with it throughout your life. Make sure you get the polyp excised from a periodontist or an oral surgeon. There are chances of recurrences sometimes and because of your bad luck,...  Read Full »

How to treat gum swelling and bleeding?

Query: Hi doctor, Since two to three weeks I have been experiencing buccal bleeding. I have inflamed gingiva behind one of the upper teeth. I can sense the lump with my tongue on the gum. I went to the dentist and he told me that it was gingivitis and he gave me a special mouthwash for gingivitis. But, I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The photos are not at all clear to give exact diagnosis (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You should start taking good antibiotics like Amoxicillin and Metronidazole for five days to reduce the gum swelling. If you can buy medicine over-the-counter then b...  Read Full »

Is that grayish color of gum a form of gingivitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a grayish patch above my teeth. I have attached some pictures here. Initially, there was a pink spot just above the teeth, and then it turned gray. Under my upper lip, it is dark pink or red. Is this a form of gingivitis? In the morning, I am getting brown saliva. Also, I am gettin...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.I have seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).It is just some pigmentation of gums for which you need not worry as it is due to some physiological change in the epithelium of gingiva.The grayish area has more melanin pigmentation than usual, so...  Read Full »

My molar is slightly wiggly. Can retainers be the cause?

Query: Hello doctor, I suspect that I have receding gums. My molar tooth is slightly wiggly but does not affect my eating at all. There is a black line (kind of denting in) on the side of my molar. I do put on retainers, but not very regularly. Could that be why my molar is shaky?   Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you do have a little bit of gingival recession (attachment removed to protect patient identity) but it is not too much to be treated with surgical intervention. You need to replace your brush and use an ultra-soft brush. Avoid soft drinks if you are taking too much...  Read Full »

My gums bleed and are painful in spite of brushing gently. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, When I brush, my gums bleed and are painful. However, I do not brush very hard. My gums have an indentation and feel rough. I brush twice a day, floss at night, and use Listerine mouthwash. I take Ibuprofen in the morning sometimes due to a bit of mouth pain.  Read Full »

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the pictures attached along with your complaint (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like trench mouth (in dental terms acute necrotizing ulcerative gingivitis). It is one of the common dental disease caused by bacterial infection. It ...  Read Full »

Is it a good idea to have filling material applied to receding gumline?

Query: Hello doctor, Is having a filling material applied to the gumline where it is receding a good solution? What are the risks with such a procedure? I have receding gums on three upper teeth and three lower teeth on the left. I have no pain or problems. I have all my teeth and they are generally healt...  Read Full »

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your medical history and the present complaint as well. First of all, I would like you to know that receding gums is such a normal thing to happen especially at your age. You have also mentioned that there is no pain or decay in those teeth you poin...  Read Full »

Why are teeth chipping, cracking, sensitive and sore since pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, Since I was pregnant with my 1-year-old son, my teeth have been chipping, cracking, very sensitive and very sore. I noticed even today. My gums are turning white. Kindly help.  Read Full »

Dr. Asma Parveen

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the picture which you have sent me, what I can see is that your teeth are not in a very good condition. You are suffering from a condition called fluorosis, which is caused due to the excessive deposition of fluoride in the teeth, which ultimately leads to weaken...  Read Full »