Q. Is that grayish color of gum a form of gingivitis?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have a grayish patch above my teeth. I have attached some pictures here. Initially, there was a pink spot just above the teeth, and then it turned gray. Under my upper lip, it is dark pink or red. Is this a form of gingivitis? In the morning, I am getting brown saliva. Also, I am getting brownish froth when I brush my teeth. Why?

#

I have seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It is just some pigmentation of gums for which you need not worry as it is due to some physiological change in the epithelium of gingiva.
  • The grayish area has more melanin pigmentation than usual, so it is darker in certain spots.
  • Also, you have some gingivitis, which is inflammation of gums only. Use warm salt water gargle.
  • The color of spit might be related to your diet, but needs to be confirmed if there is any other specific symptom.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|