Q. Should I be concerned about my meatal tear?

Dr. Gopinath
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 28, 2019

I am 26 year old. I did not have any physical relationship till date. My meatus got torn from bottom of around 1 mm three weeks back due to masturbating on bed in jean. The meatus was swollen and looked like lips. I felt continuous need to urinate every 10 minutes or so. The urine was also dark yellow in color but would get transparent if I drank water properly. It has been three weeks now and the feeling to urinate has reduced. The swelling also has gone and the burning sensation has reduced. But, I feel slight irritation when the mouth rubs against my clothes. One more thing I noticed is that regularly I am dripping transparent thick liquid, and when exited, it drips a lot. This was not the case before the injury. I would like to know few more things. When will I get healed? What precaution or medicine or cream should I use? My main concerns are will the meatus get to its original size again? Is there a possibility to become weak and tear more ahead in life? If there are chances of more tear after marriage during physical relationship, what precautions can I take? What is the transparent thick liquid dripping? Should I be concerned about it? Thanks

Dr. Gopinath

Urology
#

• First let me say that this is a minor issue and you need not worry.
  • You have had a minor tear in meatus as per your description. It will heal definitely. It may take a couple of weeks still.
  • You need not take any medicine or cream.
  • In case it heals by scarring meatus becomes normal.
  • The transparent thick liquid may be urethral discharge. No need to worry about it.

Trauma.

Meatal tear.

Observation.

For further information consult a urologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

| 

Since I thought that the expansion will never heal again, can you please explain the scarring part a little more? Thanks a lot for your help; I really appreciate your reply.

Dr. Gopinath

Urology
#

• Any tear or wound heals by fibrosis or scar thus shrinking the round orifice.
  • So, the meatus will become normal in due course. Do not worry.

For further information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

| 

I have attached an image to let you know the exact amount of damage. There is some swelling to it also. If you think I should do something about it please let me know. Even if this heals, does it have a chance that it will tear more in time?

Dr. Gopinath

Urology
#

I have gone through the photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• This is no way significant. Be reassured. Keep cool.
  • The lips of the meatus look prominent always.
  • This may be a bit exaggerated. You need not worry about it anymore.

| 

I have a lump on penis and feel uncomfortable during sex. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have a small lump inside the foreskin near the penis head. It has been there for more than a year. It is painless. It does not hurt during sexual intercourse but feels uncomfortable during oral sex. Please help.  Read Full »

Why am I having frequent nightfall?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 27 years old. I have to face problems of falling of sperm. Nightfall happens four times a week. Some time my penis feels burning. It hurts me. I met so many doctors for some days, I get relief, then again I test all sugar, thyroid, and so on. All are negative.  Read Full »

Please suggest a test to confirm HIV.

Query: Hi doctor, I had sex 40 days back. I feel burning sensation in penis for last 1 month. I had HIV test after 12 days of exposure and it was negative. Now, I have severe throat pain and fever even after three days course of medication. What to do? Please guide.  Read Full »