Q. Will accidental entry of metal shavings into eyes lead to dry eyes and cataract?

Dr. Asif Manzoor
Published on Mar 21, 2019

I had an injury to my eyes seven months back. I got metal shavings in both and had to remove and left scars on my retina. Since then everything is blurry and went to the eye doctor last month. My prescription has not changed. They say I have dry eye and starting of cataracts. Can the injury be a result of those things? I did not have a problem before.

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Blurred vision may be due to a corneal problem, cataract or retinal scars. After trauma, all these complications can occur. Dry eyes will improve with artificial tears and cornea will get normal. But any corneal scar or opacity will remain and can hinder in vision. Cataract may be age-related or due to trauma. So if it is visually significant it is treated by surgical removal and intraocular lens implantation and your doctor will guide you when it needs to remove.

The retinal scar can cause decrease vision significantly if they involve a central part of the retina called macula responsible for sharpest vision. But we can do much to treat retinal scars. So things to do are treat dry eyes and cataract (if surgery needed). I would suggest you visit your eye doctor and he will guide you accordingly.

Which is the most advanced surgery for cataract without pain?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is diagnosed with cataract. The prescription of an eye specialist is attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Doctor has recommended for surgery and has prescribed some tests before surgery. My question is what is the most advanced surgery available at pres...  Read Full >>

Dr. Rahul Vaswani
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As far as cataract surgery is concerned, any good surgeon would do under topical anesthesia (no injection). The most advanced option is Femtosecond laser-assisted surgery and the most advanced lens is Alcon Panoptix Trifocal lens.  Read Full

Why am I having dry eyes after LASIK surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, Seven months ago I had LASIK surgery on my eyes and I still have dry eyes especially after taking a shower everything becomes so dry. My eyes, ears, even nose, and vagina. I went to a dermatologist who prescribed Accutane, Vitamin A for my acne. Then he said that he cannot prescribe it u...  Read Full >>

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Dry eyes after LASIK surgery are a common side-effect, more so if you have had dry eyes before surgery. You can continue using your moisturizing eye drops for three to five times, it will not cause you any harm. The dryness in your eyes will reduce overtime. In additio...  Read Full

I have dry eyes after a LASIK surgery. Is there some medication I can try?

Query: Hi doctor,About two years ago, I did LASIK surgery to correct short-sightedness. I recovered from it and have a normal vision now. The trouble note is my eyes gets dry soon. And sometimes when I wake up I cannot even open my eyes as it is too dry and I need to keep it closed until it waters which ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry, but there is no permanent treatment or cure for dry eyes, but yes with treatment, your life will become comfortable. To treat dry eyes, we need to find the type and severity of dry eyes. The type of dry eyes is established by the clinical examination of the...  Read Full