Q. Can failed medical abortion cause malformation in baby?

Published on Aug 16, 2019

I have a question concerning a failed medical abortion. I have read the odds and they do not look good. I am 11 weeks pregnant and my medical abortion failed. I started having second thoughts about keeping the baby since this happened but I am also concerned for malformations and any other issues that may come up due to the medication. I have a surgical abortion scheduled and I am starting to get nervous. I just wanted some thoughts on what my odds are if I decided to keep this baby. I know the first trimester is very delicate and I feel like I have already messed this up. I did not realize I was pregnant either so there has been a bit of alcohol consumption plus I take about 1 mg of Alprazolam a day. If you can help me sway my decision either way. I am okay with the abortion. I just feel like I had a second chance or I am being punished.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

If you have been given tablet Mifepristone 200 mg during the medical abortion process then there is no point continuing the pregnancy as it can cause congenital anomalies in the foetus, however, if only Misoprostol was used then you can contemplate continuation. There are different check levels with scans which can determine anomalies during continuing pregnancy- at 11 to 13 weeks NT scan, quadruple scan, anomaly scan at 18 to 20 weeks.

How to confirm abortion after taking abortion kit?

Query: Hi doctor, I had unprotected intercourse on the 11th. My menses date was on 26th of the same month, but I missed my menses. I had a pregnancy test after eight days and it was positive. I took the first set of abortion pills on the same day at 6:30 PM. At 10:30 PM, I started to have bleeding and the ...  Read Full »

I have not got my periods yet after intercourse. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 22. I had an intercourse two months back. I got my period on 13th of last month and I did not get in this month. What should I do? Need your help.  Read Full »

What are the chances of pregnancy when periods are gotten in three days after sex?

Query: Hello doctor, My girlfriend and I had sex recently and the condom broke. She immediately took Unwanted 72. Her period came three days later. What are the chances of her getting pregnant? Can we abort the child in case she gets pregnant?  Read Full »