Q. Is the abortion process complete or not?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 05, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 20, 2020

I recently had an abortion pill. I took Mifepristone tablet first then after 36 hours, I took four tablets of Misoprostol of 200 mcg orally. At first, there was light bleeding during one hour then after some time I had heavy bleeding and it almost soaked two pads and it continued for almost two to four hours. After that, I am having light bleeding. There is little blood coming out from the vagina. I thought abortion process was not completed so again after 24 hours I took four more Misoprostol of 200 mcg but after that, there is still no result of heavy bleeding. I wanted to know what to do next and whether the abortion process is completed or not. Please help me through this. I have nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain along with it.

#

I guess you have not passed any tissue or mass like structures out of the vagina. So we cannot be sure about the complete termination of pregnancy. Presence of just bleeding does not ensure the complete termination. So our priority is to confirm it.

Now it is a time for you to get yourself examined by a gynecologist, an ultrasound of the pelvis to look for complete or incomplete termination. Ultrasound will confirm the status of pregnancy. However, it is not recommended to have excess doses of Misoprostol now. Also, although the risk of infection is not high, keep watch for fever and if developed then have antibiotics started immediately.

So overall, next most important step is an ultrasound of pelvis and if incomplete termination then an evacuation.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I had some tissue type coming out from my vagina. Some mass type something. Now my stomach feels like nothing is there inside. I feel lightweight in my stomach.

#

This suggests the likely complete termination, but it is recommended to confirm it with ultrasound. So, as to rule out the possibility of future complications. So visit nearby radiologist and ask for ultrasound pelvis although not an emergency.

|