Q. Is the abortion process complete or not?

Published on May 05, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I recently had an abortion pill. I took Mifepristone tablet first then after 36 hours, I took four tablets of Misoprostol of 200 mcg orally. At first, there was light bleeding during one hour then after some time I had heavy bleeding and it almost soaked two pads and it continued for almost two to four hours. After that, I am having light bleeding. There is little blood coming out from the vagina. I thought abortion process was not completed so again after 24 hours I took four more Misoprostol of 200 mcg but after that, there is still no result of heavy bleeding. I wanted to know what to do next and whether the abortion process is completed or not. Please help me through this. I have nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain along with it.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I guess you have not passed any tissue or mass like structures out of the vagina. So we cannot be sure about the complete termination of pregnancy. Presence of just bleeding does not ensure the complete termination. So our priority is to confirm it.

Now it is a time for you to get yourself examined by a gynecologist, an ultrasound of the pelvis to look for complete or incomplete termination. Ultrasound will confirm the status of pregnancy. However, it is not recommended to have excess doses of Misoprostol now. Also, although the risk of infection is not high, keep watch for fever and if developed then have antibiotics started immediately.

So overall, next most important step is an ultrasound of pelvis and if incomplete termination then an evacuation.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I had some tissue type coming out from my vagina. Some mass type something. Now my stomach feels like nothing is there inside. I feel lightweight in my stomach.

#

This suggests the likely complete termination, but it is recommended to confirm it with ultrasound. So, as to rule out the possibility of future complications. So visit nearby radiologist and ask for ultrasound pelvis although not an emergency.

Does ectopic pregnancy cause heavy bleeding, spotting, and abdominal pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 21 years old. I decided to contact you because I do not know what to do. I had sex with my husband, and then we found out that he had a chlamydia infection. Since then, I am feeling sick all the time. My stomach was hurting a lot, and I had problems with passing urine, and it sta...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If pregnancy is the concern, then the best way to find out is to get a blood serum beta hCG test done. This is a confirmatory test for pregnancy as the urine pregnancy kits may show false positive results. If the level of hCG is more than 1 or raised, then pregnancy ...  Read Full

Can you explain how do I go about taking the abortion pills?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 6 weeks pregnant and I need to terminate the pregnancy. I have gone through an ultrasound to confirm that it is an intrauterine pregnancy. I need to know how I can terminate it through abortion pills and what other precautions I need to take. Also, are there any other antibiotics ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need to take an MTP kit a medical termination of pregnancy which will be sold only at the prescription of a registered medical practitioner and is no longer available as an OTC (over the counter) drug. It contains two medications namely Mifepristone and Misopros...  Read Full

After abortion, my wife is bleeding from anus. How to manage?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife was admitted to hospital due to incomplete abortion and dengue fever NS1 reactive. She had 6 weeks pregnancy. Doctor has done surgical abortion and it was found dengue fever after blood test. She was admitted for three days. Her initial platelet count was 150000 and later 180000, ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How reliable were those blood tests? If those were reliable, then there is no need to worry for bleeding from two sites.¬†Otherwise, repeat it from a good place. Secondly, just start any birth control pill from today as it will lessen the bleeding. I suggest Laxit plus...  Read Full