Q. Please suggest some medicine to increase my memory.

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 22, 2020

I am a 27 year old serving army officer. Three years back, I met with an accident and got a traumatic brain injury. The initial investigation report and treatment undertaken is attached. Also, the NCCT scan taken 11 months ago is attached.

Now, the problems involved are having cognitive issues in doing physical exertion and have mental stress. Now, I am not able to concentrate and grab the concepts while studying. I am having issues like I memorize a thing and later I am not able to recollect it fully. Further, I get tired after physical exertion.

Initially, after a long run it used to take a day to recover and relax. And now, when I go for long runs I get tired, feel too exhausted and it takes five or six days to get back to normal. While searching on the internet I came along nootropics to boost memory. Can I take that? Please refer me some medication or herbal products to solve my issues.

Also, when I'm having some sort of examinations, I thoroughly revise my subjects like earlier I use to do but now in the morning I'm only able to get few points not the complete thing. I'm able to recall but not at the time when it is required. It happens while conversations also some points skip and I'm not able to give all the points.

I'm currently taking tablet phenytoin, and dietary supplements of super omega 3 capsules, 2 times a day, always nutrikite's Siberian gingsek with gingko biloba, 2 times a day and focus factor tablets that are nutrition supplement for brain which I got from the US., 2 times a day.

#

I have gone through your query and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you.

The head injury has left some damage in your brain. The frontal area on the left side is affected. This area of the brain is needed for attention. Hence, you lack attention.

Attention is an integral part of the memory. Even though your long term memory may be intact, you seem to have a forgetfulness because of lack of attention.

There are two ways to treat this.

1. With drugs.
  2. With yoga, meditation and self-hypnosis.

Also, a combination of both the above will give best results.

For drugs, I would suggest you tablet Neuciti forte (Citicoline) two times a day, after food for three months in addition to Phenytoin which you are now taking. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For yoga, I would recommend you to consult a yoga master. Please let me know the improvement in three months with this combined treatment.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Thank you for your valuable reply to my query. You have suggested Neuciti forte along with Phenytoin. Actually, I listed Phenytoin as my past medication, which I had a year ago and now, I am not taking it.

#

Since there is damage to the brain as per latest CT, you have to take Phenytoin for a few more years till the brain heals. Please discuss this with your treating doctor.

For further doubts consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|