Q. How can damage to neurotransmitters be diagnosed after a stroke?

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar
Published on Mar 19, 2019

My question is hypothetical. If one has suffered brain edema as a result of a stroke, is there any way to determine whether or not the transmitters or neurotransmitters in the brain have sustained any type of damage? Is there any test available that can ascertain this information?

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

Neuro Surgery Neurology
#

If someone has brain edema secondary to brain injury, there is definitely a disturbance in the neurotransmitters in the brain. The only way to identify this is by a procedure called microdialysis wherein a probe is inserted into the area of the brain under consideration and the biochemical parameters analyzed.

Thank you for replying. Well, I am guessing that would be an outpatient procedure. I was hoping that there was a diagnostic test available of some sort, such as a brain PET scan, etc. Also, in such a hypothetical situation, is there any way to repair the neurotransmitters? I am thinking, that if they were damaged due to edema, then they would not be able to be repaired because the damage is physical. Is this correct? If so, are there any options available at all?

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

Neuro Surgery Neurology
#

Microdialysis is not an outpatient procedure. It involves inserting a catheter in the area of the brain under study and introducing a solution wash and analyzing the returning fluid for various parameters such as lactate. At present, there is only one scan called the Trodat scan which assesses dopamine deficiency in the brain in patients suspected of having Parkinson's disease. But, there is no such test for detecting brain injury due to edema. There is no test that can determine whether or not the neurotransmitters have sustained damage.

How to prevent stroke?

Query: Hi doctor, Kindly give some tips on the ways to prevent stroke.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Here are some tips to prevent stroke. Regular exercises like brisk walking and jogging according to your capacity for at least 30 minutes a day and five to seven days a week in nearly all peoples. Regular exercises help in reducing weight, decrease lipid level and bl...  Read Full

MRI shows stroke and brain changes. Is it due to untreated sleep apnea?

Query: Hello doctor, The patient underwent extensive routine physical examination including MR/CT imaging and laboratory analysis earlier this month. The MR Brain shows evidence of lacunar stroke and ischemic brain changes. Please advise if these might be connected to untreated obstructive sleep apnea (mor...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I carefully went through your question and the patient's medical history. I reviewed her medical report and the uploaded brain MRI study (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and would explain that those changes are indicative of small vessel disease, whic...  Read Full

Please suggest a medicine to improve my memory power.

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from memory problems. I cannot remember even small things like the groceries that mom told me to buy. After reaching the shop, I do not remember anything. Please give me a suggestion to improve my concentration and memory power. I am 19 years old. I think too much about ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Rajyaguru

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since you are just 19, I would prefer not to advise you any medicines for this. As a matter of fact, there is no medicine that actually works to improve memory of otherwise healthy individual. The anxiety, depression, constantly thinking about something which you are not...  Read Full