Q. How can damage to neurotransmitters be diagnosed after a stroke?

Answered by
Dr. Sudheer Ambekar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 19, 2019

Hello doctor,

My question is hypothetical. If one has suffered brain edema as a result of a stroke, is there any way to determine whether or not the transmitters or neurotransmitters in the brain have sustained any type of damage? Is there any test available that can ascertain this information?



Welcome to

If someone has brain edema secondary to brain injury, there is definitely a disturbance in the neurotransmitters in the brain. The only way to identify this is by a procedure called microdialysis wherein a probe is inserted into the area of the brain under consideration and the biochemical parameters analyzed.

Hello doctor,

Thank you for replying. Well, I am guessing that would be an outpatient procedure. I was hoping that there was a diagnostic test available of some sort, such as a brain PET scan, etc. Also, in such a hypothetical situation, is there any way to repair the neurotransmitters? I am thinking, that if they were damaged due to edema, then they would not be able to be repaired because the damage is physical. Is this correct? If so, are there any options available at all?



Welcome back to

Microdialysis is not an outpatient procedure. It involves inserting a catheter in the area of the brain under study and introducing a solution wash and analyzing the returning fluid for various parameters such as lactate. At present, there is only one scan called the Trodat scan which assesses dopamine deficiency in the brain in patients suspected of having Parkinson's disease. But, there is no such test for detecting brain injury due to edema. There is no test that can determine whether or not the neurotransmitters have sustained damage.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Can stroke cause altered sensation in face?

.. during periods of illness, fever, cold, etc., previous symptoms of stroke may reappear but to lesser degree. They usually go away as the illness resolve. It does not mean you have new stroke. With left parietal stroke, one can expect sensory sympt...   Read full

How long is Risperidone effective?

.. have taken Risperidone for four years, the brain circuits and its neurotransmitters had been under control. The medicine though it might have been washed out from your body, the effect of it remains for a few weeks to months and your brain circuit...   Read full

Can stroke cause facial droop in the lower half of the left side of my face?

.. like to know some details about your symptoms: 1. When, first time, you noticed facial drop in left lower half face? 2. Did it happen suddenly? Or it happened slowly and gradually? 3. Did you had any weakness in left arm/ hand / left leg along...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

The New COVID Variant From South Africa (Omicron)
The World Health Organisation has enlisted Omicron to be a variant of concern. Just scroll down the article to know abou...  Read more»
Managing Diabetes During Festive Season
All the festivals are indirectly a danger sign for diabetic patients. Read this article to know more about how to handle...  Read more»
What You Should Eat and Drink for A Healthy Life!!
Food is essential for our survival, and what we eat definitely impacts our health. We can easily reduce the risk of many...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Neurologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.