HomeAnswersObstetrics and GynecologymenopauseI am a 47-year-old female with irregular periods, and took a biopsy for it. Can it be due to menopause?

Can irregular periods and excessive menstrual flow be a symptom of menopause in me?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At December 1, 2022
Reviewed AtDecember 2, 2022

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I am a 47-year-old woman, and since last year, I have had excessive periods that did not stop. I visited the doctor, and they said it was menopause but could not make sure. My endometrium sheds little by little with the blood, and pieces come out with blood, but the flow does not stop. It is very irregular, too, the longest one I had was for about a whole one and a half months, and the doctor had to stop it with injections and medications, and now it has started again today. I had a biopsy, so I will attach my reports here. Please look into it.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I went through your query and attached reports (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity) and understood your concern.

The ultrasound sound report shows that your endometrial lining, or the inner lining of your uterus, is 20 mm thicker according to your age. However, the biopsy report does not show that you have any cancer. So do not worry. It is quite common at your age to have disorders of the lining of your uterus due to hormonal imbalances.

For treatment of this, I would suggest you consult your local gynecologist for a Mirena IUCD (intrauterine contraceptive device) insertion inside the uterus. Mirena is a T-shaped plastic frame (like copper T) inserted into the uterus, releasing a type of hormone progesterone that will correct the thickened endometrial lining. It is not painful and very effective.

I hope this answers your question. Feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

Thank you for the reply,

But what should I do about the heavy blood flow? Is this normal? How should I stop this?


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

The heavy blood will settle once the endometrial lining thins out by putting a Mirena. Taking hormonal tablets like Norethisterone (synthetic hormone) is not good at your age. You can take Tranexamic acid 500 mg tablet twice a day after food. Heavy bleeding can stop transiently, but for long-term bleeding control, you need to put in a Mirena.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Priyadarshini Tripathy
Dr. Priyadarshini Tripathy

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

irregular periodsmenopause

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Obstetrics and Gynecology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy