Q. I have irregular periods and vaginal dryness. Can IUD be the cause?

Dr. Bindiya Thakkar
This is a premium question & answer published on May 09, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have irregular periods and vaginal dryness. I also have premenstrual spotting, followed by three days of profuse bleeding. I got an IUCD placed ten years back. I use Minoxidil 5 % for topical application, since three months, but I stopped it 15 days back. I have a history of vitamin B12 deficiency, which was treated. I did a test on the third day of my period, and the reports said progesterone is 3.73, FSH is 1.52, and LH is 1.89.

#

I need more details to understand what is going on.

1. Can you explain the irregular periods, are they coming late?
  2. What kind of IUD (intrauterine device) do you have, copper or hormonal?
  3. Do you have any hirsutism or acne?
  4. Do you have any history of infertility? Do you have any children?
  5. Can you give more details as to what your questions or concerns are?

Revert with more information to a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

My periods are early, and the menstrual cycle is 23 to 24 days. I have premenstrual spotting for 2 to 3 days, then heavy bleeding starts. The intrauterine device is hormonal, and it is there for the past ten years. I do not have acne, hirsutism, or any history of infertility. I have two children, a 15 year old son, and an 8 year old daughter. What is the cause of my symptoms? Is there a need for further investigation?

#

• If you have had hormonal IUD for ten years, I would consider taking that out. It may be progesterone IUD, and that may be causing the symptoms.
  • You can choose to use oral birth control instead. You should also consider seeing a gynecologist and have an examination to rule out fibroids and endometriosis.

For more information consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

| 

My periods are irregular and not conceiving. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have had a history of irregular periods and now I am failing to get pregnant. To highlight about my past, I started having my periods from the age of 14 and had irregular periods always. Sometimes, I had heavy flow for 7 to 8 days and sometimes it was scanty for only 2 days. I was put ...  Read Full »

How to treat vaginal dryness and pain following a UTI?

Query: Hi doctor, A few months ago, I was suffering from UTI and followed by vaginal dryness. Right now, I feel occasional sharp pain in my vagina, which subsides after a while. Also, I am getting pain during intercourse. I wanted to know the ways to treat this vaginal dryness. I had urine and culture t...  Read Full »

Acne - Causes, Types, Home Remedies and Treatment Strategy

Article Overview: Acne is a very common condition encountered among teens and adults. To decide the protocol for the treatment of acne, it is important for us to know the causes, conditions associated, sites of acne, the cause of acne and factors affecting the onset of acne. Many home remedies are helpful in treating acne. Mild and moderate acne can be treated with medication and severe acne with other treatment procedures. Prevention is more important than cure. Read Article

Dr. Archana

Acne is a very common skin condition. It commonly starts during puberty but can occur at any age. Although it is not a dangerous condition, acne can leave scars on the skin. Acne appears in different parts of the body like face, chest, and back. Acne affects almost all teenagers in different severit...  Read Article

What should I take to relieve Flagyl induced constipation?
Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old female. I am trying to overcome constipation caused by the Flagyl antibiotic, and I do...  Read more»
How long should my dad continue the same dosage of medicines after a stent surgery?
Hello doctor, My father had a heart stent operation six months ago. Doctor prescribed some medicines, and still, he is u...  Read more»

Ask a Diabetologist Now