Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. I am having menorrhagia and feeling tired with chest pain and indigestion problem. Why?

Answered by
Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur Nagpal
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 16, 2019 and last reviewed on: Dec 18, 2019

Hello doctor,

I was suffering from menorrhagia after the birth of my second daughter. I went for medication and presently it is almost under control.

I have to take Tranexa two tablets three times daily for the first two days of the menstrual cycle. Suddenly I notice that my hemoglobin has fallen to 7.12 g/dL. I am physically feeling weak and having chest pain (while walking and climbing stairs), swelling of legs, itching and indigestion problem. I consulted a local doctor and they prescribed Autrin twice daily and ZES-30 once daily.

Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur Nagpal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology


Welcome to

Since you are 40 years old now and this problem has not suddenly cropped up. You are having menorrhagia (heavy bleeding) from the last 5 years or so, for which you are having 1 gm of Trenaxa to temporarily stop bleeding. That is the reason for anemia, which is low hemoglobin and feeling very weak. But please do not ignore your chest pain and swelling on legs. You need to be thoroughly investigated for this including all routine investigations like CBC (complete blood count), coagulation profile, PTI (prothrombin time test), renal and liver function tests. Above all ECG (electrocardiogram), and ultrasound abdomen to see the cause.

Visit a physician and the most worrying thing which I want to rule out is any evidence of thrombo-embolism and DVT (deep vein thrombosis) for which you may be advised Doppler study of vessels of lower limbs. Be in touch and inform the reports if you like.

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

I have had ECG done a few months back and the report was normal. USG was done when I underwent hysteroscopy, D and C, endometrial polypectomy. I have attached my discharge summary. Thereafter I was prescribed with Luprid Depot 3.25 injection after AMH test (report attached). The current hematology report is also attached. Please advise the further course of investigation and treatment.

Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur Nagpal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology


Welcome back to

I have seen your reports diligently. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

If D and C (dilation and curettage) were done after polypectomy, then your bleeding should have been controlled after that and if still need for hemostats now then I think a fresh ultrasound should be repeated and see the cause. If only endometrial hyperplasia, then biopsy needs to be done. Also, fresh ECG and may be echocardiography (ultrasound of the heart) after physician opinion for chest pain should be done.

Regarding AMH (anti mullerian hormone) value, we are not worried about the fertility status at this stage now, rather if premature ovarian failure is considered then also there is no reason for heavy bleeding. Yes, anemia of course needs to be treated as swelling of legs can be because of anemia and hypoproteinemia alone. So, please start the treatment after thorough work up.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
I have been spotting for more than 15 days. What to do?
My daughter recently attained puberty and she is bleeding from 35 days. Please help.
Will eating raw rice result in low hemoglobin?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

How to evaluate the reason for low hemoglobin?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 76 years old. She is diabetic and on medication for around 15 years. She is suffering from typhoid fever. Her hemoglobin level is low at 6. She is also very weak to walk on her own for the past few days. Kindly suggest some advice.  Read Full »

Abdominal vs laparoscopic hysterectomy - which is better?

Query: Hello doctor, Which type of surgery is better for hysterectomy for a 45 year old patient with menorrhagia, open surgery or laparoscopy?  Read Full »

How can I control heavy bleeding during periods?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 25 years old married girl. This time, there is a heavy flow during my periods (nonstop bleeding) but there is no pain and no discomfort. Today is the second day of my periods. What should I do? It does not look like a normal period bleeding that I usually have.  Read Full »

Also Read

Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»
I was diagnosed with Celiac disease a year back. Can you suggest any medicine?
Having celiac fromnlast 10 year dignosis recently ayear ago since then i am gluten free still cant absorb food feeling w...  Read more»
My head is shivering from 20 days, and it feels like head trauma. What is the cause?
Hello sir, My head is shivering like anything , feeling like trauma is head. And its start anytime in a day and when s...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.