Q. What should I do for menorrhagia and an ovarian cyst?

Dr. Manisha Raghunath Auradkar

I am having periods for two and a half months now. It stopped for two days in the last month and the month previous to that, but then it started back again.

I also pass big clots, though I do not have cramps or tender breasts like I usually have during the periods.

Three years back, I had also consulted the doctor for heavy bleeding during periods and I was diagnosed with menorrhagia. After a year, the menorrhagia happened again and lasted for three months. After that, I had normal periods lasting 5 days. Last year, I was diagnosed with a cyst in my right ovary.

#

I can understand your concern.

Menstrual periods lasting that long are called metrorrhagia. Although the reason for this is commonly hormonal imbalance but to understand the underlying cause, I suggest you get an ultrasound of the lower abdomen done.

You have mentioned that a right ovarian cyst was also identified previously.

The dysfunctional uterine bleeding that you are experiencing now needs medical attention, as this can lead to severe anemia.

I suggest you consult a gynecologist in person along with your latest USG (ultrasonography) results.

Appropriate medications will stop the bleeding but it should be done only after careful physical examination considering all the medical history.

Hope this helps you.

Feel free to contact me for any further queries in the future.

|