Q. What are the causes of prolonged periods and pain after taking birth control pill?

Dr. Garima Sawhney

I had sex with my girlfriend, but I did not ejaculate. As a precaution, she took birth control pill. She is having lower abdominal pain for more than 10 days. And her periods are also prolonged. Please suggest an appropriate solution. I asked the same question to a doctor, and I was asked to get a urine pregnancy test done. It is the 11th day of her periods. Please explain the reason behind it. Is there any medication which can relieve the pain?

Dr. Garima Sawhney

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

1. It might be the side effect of the contraceptive pill. OCP being a powerful hormone causes these kinds of symptoms.
  2. It might be the failure of the tablet. It might be pregnancy and in an aborting phase, because of which pain and bleeding are there.
  • So, it is important to rule out pregnancy. Get serum beta hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) blood test done and ultrasound pelvis to rule out any other pathology.
  • Until then, give her tablet Drotin (Drotaverine) one now for pain and tablet Trapic (Tranexamic acid and Mefenamic acid) 500 which is to decrease the bleeding.

For more information consult an obstetric and gynaeclogist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|