Q. Can menstruation cause kidney pain?

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat

I am a 30-year-old female and got my periods today. I have severe kidney pain that started today and worsens day by day. My current medications include tablet Plaquenil for inflammation and tablet Endep for migraines.

#

During the menstrual cycle, pain or cramps occur diffusely in the lower abdominal area. Your kidney pain is not related to menstruation. Please answer the following questions:

1) Is the pain localized to the lateral and posterior aspects of the body?

2) Is the pain present on both sides of the body?

3) Do you feel any pain during micturition?

4) Do you experience radiating pain?

5) Is the pain colicky in nature?

6) For what medical condition are you taking the tablet Plaquenil?

7) Do you experience a burning sensation or blood in the urine?

8) Do you feel nauseous or have a fever?

Thank you doctor for the reply,

The pain is localized to the lateral and posterior aspects of the body. I experience constant pain on both sides, but not during micturition. The pain radiates to other sites, and I experience a burning sensation while urinating. I am taking the tablet Plaquenil for seronegative arthritis. I do not have a fever, but I feel nauseous.

#

I think the pain is due to bilateral renal involvement. It can also be due to seronegative spondyloarthritis involving the lower spine and hip, but in that case, the pain would be centralized and not localized. Seronegative arthritis comprises a few diseases that are negative for rheumatoid factors. I cannot comment on the etiology of pain, but you might feel nauseous due to constant pain. Have you noticed any change in the severity or intensity of pain in the few hours? I suggest tablet Ibuprofen as it helps relieve pain and an ultrasound test to rule out any renal involvement. I tried to find out the exact cause of the pain from the medical history, but I suggest you visit a nearby doctor for a clinical examination. Thank you.

|