Q. Pain from the right side of my back moved to the hips. Please help.

Dr. Rajiv Ranjan Kumar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 17, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 26, 2021

I have pain in my hips. I began to have a slight ache on the right side of the lower back and then it got moved to my hip-deep in the socket like a toothache. I have pain in my bones also for the past two days. Taking a hot water bath helped me and I was able to move around a little bit but still, I have pain. Sometimes, my knees get swelled and they become hot to touch. This never happened to me before. I had a low-grade fever on and off. I have a couple of sore in my mouth and a couple of knuckles on my hands hurts a lot. I tested my RA factor before few months and everything was normal. I tested for lupus and the result came back negative. I have severe Raynaud's too. My urine smells a lot in the morning even after drinking plenty of water. Before few years, I had knee swelling where I was unable to walk and the pain was incredible for a couple of days and it went away after few days. My C3 and C4 were deranged and other values were normal.

#

Based on your history, the common rheumatological condition that needs to be ruled out is spondyloarthritis (SPA). It includes many groups of diseases starting from ankylosing spondylitis, reactive arthritis, and others. It causes back pain, lower limb arthritis and it involves knees, ankles, and hips. In your case, you can have reactive arthritis. You need to do a test for inflammatory markers and HLA-B27 testing. Kindly consult a rheumatologist for further evaluation and discussion.

|