Q. What does abdominal cramps during pregnancy indicate?

Dr. Donalyn S. Barcial

I keep having strong cramp like feelings. I am 37 weeks pregnant. I do not know if it is an upset stomach or actual contractions. What is the best thing to do or how can I tell?

#

Monitor this cramping by holding or placing your hand on top of your abdomen. Differentiate the feeling and softness of the abdomen when you feel the cramping versus when you do not have the cramps. The actual labor cramps would feel like a menstrual pain accompanied by the perception of hardening on top of your abdomen. It usually lasts for 20 to 30 seconds and the interval may be irregular at first. Usually, you also feel this hardening everytime your baby kicks or moves. If these labor cramps persist for 4 to 5 hours, you might also have brown to bloody vaginal mucoid discharge that is usually scanty. On the other hand, stomach cramp is not associated with abdominal hardening. Best of luck.

|