Q. Can inguinal hernias lower testosterone levels and decrease ejaculate volume?

Dr. Aastha Midha Likhyani

While having sex with my wife six months ago, I had a severe pain in my stomach, which seemed to have originated from my testicles. The pain has never happened again. I live a pretty much normal day to day life. Since then, I have noticed a decrease in semen volume considerably. Now, I also feel that my testosterone levels have lowered, and I have low sex drive, difficulty concentrating, and lower back pain. It also seems that my testicles are riding a bit higher. All my blood reports are normal. What is the cause? Please help. Regards.

#

• This could be epididymo-orchitis or simply orchitis. I suggest getting an ultrasound of the abdomen and scrotum. Follow-up with the reports.

Revert with more information to a general surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-surgeon

| 

Thank you for your prompt reply. I will get it done and revert. Can this be partial testicular torsion? Or for some reason, can the blood flow to the testicle through the spermatic cord get restricted? I feel this is causing the lower volume of semen and testosterone.

#

• There are many possibilities, but let us not think too much. Get the tests done, and respond back.

Take care.

For more information consult a general surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-surgeon

| 

I got the tests done, and it is really freaking me out. Apparently, I have a bilateral indirect inguinal hernia. Is this what is causing my problem? I have absolutely no symptoms or pain. Please comment.

#

• Yes, your problem was because of inguinal hernias. I suggest you get yourself operated. Mesh hernioplasty is the treatment.
  • Please visit a general surgeon nearby. If you are a smoker, please stop smoking.

Do not worry about it, and take care.

For further queries consult a general surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-surgeon

| 

Thank you for replying. No, I do not smoke. Can a hernia cause lower testosterone and decreased ejaculate volume? Thank you for your support.

#

• Regarding low testosterone levels and low ejaculate volume, this could be subjective also. I would say, for this visit a urologist nearby.

|